Only Electricity no Gas

Yeah sorry, different computers. This energy supply is from the October Eon-Next tariff without price cap, apparently they haven't calculated it yet according to a post by 'Lawrence' a couple of days ago. Heating goes on at 3:30am until 8:30am cheap rate (sic) 32.32p/kWh. The freezer is switched off, but fridge still running ~120W intermittently over 24hrs.

1.7kW Kettle on numerous times for coffee, 1kW microwave (50% eff) for breakfast and lunch (5mins at a time) Two computers with i7 processors on, but only one switchable 50W monitor.
Reply to
jon

I thought he meant all-electric?

Reply to
JNugent

Yes, and the best of British luck with that. Nothing stops that troll, it seems.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Wires can melt and drip onto things that catch fire easy. Also if you short the battery out it can blow up. Bill

Reply to
wrights...

He means 0.15kWh per hour. :-)

150 watts to us simpletons.
Reply to
Pancho

It's amusing how today all the local rags have stories "How much will a cup of tea cost you now?" with prices down to 1/100th of a penny

1.28p being their answer.
Reply to
Andy Burns

But don’t hold your breath.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

+10001
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Who cares? This is usenet, chum No one else saw it - we all have Rodders in our kill files

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Legal Occupier snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote

Not possible, usenet isnt moderated, f****it.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I have a 30A breaker to protect the circuit.

Reply to
jon

That what only electric no gas means.

Reply to
jon

But it could be taken as "here's my electricity usage, without saying whether or not I have gas usage as well"

Reply to
Andy Burns

You don't sound like you know what you are doing.

It takes more to stop an arc in DC short circuit than in an AC one. A

30A breaker will carry 40A for many minutes and 60A for around 10s.

Your "protection" may well be illusory. You need to use a low voltage automotive fuse in series with the supply to protect against fault conditions. Otherwise you will end up with red hot wires and a fire.

You may also not have thick enough conductors in the wires for the currents that you are intending to run.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Exactly.

Reply to
JNugent

It doesn't rule out solid fuel or heating oil though.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Or not mentioning oil for CH etc.

Reply to
alan_m

....Or geothermal

Reply to
jon

Only electric means only electric.

Reply to
jon

You are likely to be very stuffed then this winter. Same problem for those who were truly all electric when Northern Powergrid MFU'd the repair of their network after storm Arwen. Many people around me spent a week with no mains electricity and no borehole pumped water supply.

We were OK with a log burner and a generator.

Ofgem has conceded that the likes of SSE could go bust this winter if the present supply or pay rules were applied and gas is not available. (UK has a maximum of 10 days storage which is way too little)

Martin Brown