One of those weeks (fridge packing up ?)

Last nights beer was distinctly not cold.

Quick thermometer in fridge showed temp was 10C

Moved everything to back fridge (which is 10 years older ...) and cleaned out fridge - massive block of ice stuck to back. Removed it, dusted off the back (which wasn't dusty) checked all *looked* OK and repowered on.

Compressor is (very !) hot. But poor thing doesn't seem to be getting much colder. 16C after an hour.

It's well f***ed, innit ? :(

On the basis the freezer next to it (at least 17 years old) does get down to -20C but seems to run all the time (as it has the past 5 summers) I'm tending towards a get both at the same time purchase ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

In the old one it will probably be compromised insulation in the other, well, its lost its gas by the sound of it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Frost free?

-20C is not quite cold enough.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Decided to move the thing out of the kitchen, where it's started making some creaking noises and there's a bubbly-drippy sound inside it (no power to it).

I wonder if some ice got built up where I can't see/find it. One of the suggested fixes was power off for 24-48 hours to ensure all airways are free and not iced up ?????

It can sit on a waterproof mat till tomorrow, leastways.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I did ask if it was frost free? Seems like it could be. Frost free do this sort of stunt, just leave it on your mat with the door open and it may work again. But, it will do it again. Frost free are crap, too much to go wrong.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I dunno, but I notice that my son-in-law's freezer (which I walk past every time I use their lavatory) is set to -20C. He is the production director at a frozen food factory.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Neither of mine have and its very interesting that now I don't get any frost inside the plastic bags with food in them either. Dunno why.

Bullshit.

Reply to
Levi Jones

Quite right. Following a nagging from SWMBO it's been defrosted and currently -29C on the first setting ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Sorry, you did - got distracted between fridges and freezers.

It is a frost free, I believe and has a drainage channel and external receiver for evaporation - which got really manky and smelly a while back.

Will repower later today and see.

The problem is I can get a replacement new set of fridge+freezer for £250 which does rather put a limit on the time spent on this one.

It's why the environment is double-f***ed :(

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Not quite cold enough for what? My freezer states it gets to-16, and I notice most of the time this is what it stabilises at.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You folk must be keeping stuff like in a seed bank or something.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'd mot have anything else but frost free myself. It works and has not had any problems, I'm marvelling at a freezer going down to -29 though, that has to be a large chest freezer not the kind on top of a fridge like mine, as Say it openly says - -16. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well closer inspection showed the probe was sitting on the cooling element :) the air temperature was a touch above -21C

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Brian Gaff has brought this to us :

-16 to -19 here, as measured at the top shelf.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield