One in the eye for the sheds

Mrs F wanted a new garden gate, arguing that since a storm destroyed the old one I would have to do some workon a Bank Holiday (grumble, mutter).

She was keen on one from the Wickes catalogue, but when we got there they had sold out. Sales bloke quite helpful, told me that they came from South Africa and were difficult to get hold of. He rang three other Wickes depots in the same area and confirmed none of them had the gate in stock. Left to get home and as we turned out of Wickes my wife saw a sign that said "Fences, Gates". So we went that way and found a yard selling fencing materials. They had an almost identical gate in stock, except that it was screwed together, not stapled like the Wickes gate. Total price for gate, posts, and hinges half the price of the Wickes gate.

Reply to
Steve Firth