FAQ: Want to ask a DIY question? Here's how. (V.16)

[Weekly posting - Archived once a month]

This is an introduction to the UK.D-I-Y newsgroup for new and experienced Do-It-Yourselfers in the United Kingdom. If you want help, or just want to find out more about a problem before calling in 'the professionals' you are welcome to 'pick our brains'.

There is a good chance your query, or a very similar one, has already been discussed and answered by the group, so please have a look at the Google uk.d-i-y archive, and our companion website for Frequently Asked Questions (the FAQ) before posting a question here.

The Google uk.d-i-y archive is available for searching at

and the UK.D-I-Y FAQ is at
FAQ website gives background information about a diverse range of DIY topics, and guidance on formulating questions to post here that will most easily get the answers you need. For example, you should explain the background to the problem as well as asking your question.

The FAQ includes detailed information on common DIY problems in areas such as central heating, plumbing, electrical, decorating, security, plastering, and tools. It also has a reference section pointing to other useful sites and companies.

You should be aware that although replies in most cases are perfectly accurate and sensible, there are occasions when someone posts an inappropriate answer. In this case one of the regulars is very likely to post a correction, so it is always a good idea to check back later.

The FAQ makes clear that commercial advertising in the group is NOT welcome. Unsolicited advertising is considered abuse, and is likely to be reported as abuse to the advertiser's ISP. However, replies to specific questions which mention products sold by the person replying are acceptable. There is more information on commercial participation in the FAQ.

Reply to
Phil

Commercial advertising IS welcome. Advertisements should have subjects of the form "AD: Advertisement Title", and not be posted more often than once a month. Unsolicited advertising is not considered abuse, and any reports of abuse sent to the advertisers ISP may be countered with this (now) frequently posted article.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

But you are just about the only person here who holds this view.

Reply to
Grunff

Oh God...is he *still* here, banging on about that?

Reply to
Bob Eager

|Chris Bacon wrote: | |> Commercial advertising IS welcome. Advertisements should have |> subjects of the form "AD: Advertisement Title", and not be posted |> more often than once a month. Unsolicited advertising is not |> considered abuse, and any reports of abuse sent to the advertisers |> ISP may be countered with this (now) frequently posted article. | | |But you are just about the only person here who holds this view.

Then uk.d-i-y needs a proper Charter. The subject would them be put to a democratic vote.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Chris,

As you are the only one asking for this change, and there have been a number of objections to it, I'm sorry but I will not be revising the text to reflect it at this time.

Reply to
Phil Addison

Phil,

I am not now asking for a change, and I have not recently asked for a change. I am stating another viewpoint, which will be re-stated at regular intervals. It does not now matter what the wording of your FAQ is. Commercial advertising is welcome in uk.d-i-y, see below:-

"Commercial advertising IS welcome. Advertisements should have subjects of the form "AD: Advertisement Title", and not be posted more often than once a month. Unsolicited advertising is not considered abuse, and any reports of abuse sent to the advertisers ISP may be countered with this (now) frequently posted article"

HTH.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I see; so you plan to put out an alternative FAQ posting. Are you going to build, maintain and fund an alternative FAQ website as well? Failing that how about giving a positive contribution to the FAQ, there are several areas waiting for updates and new sections.

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

Chris, I disagree totally with this and would vote against it if it ever comes to a vote. Most of us here do not want monthly or even less frequent commercial adverts that do not add anything to the information being imparted *in response to questions raised*. The only commercial or advertising postings acceptable, IMO, are those that answer a specific question. This is "solicited advertising".

Unsolicited advertising is not a current feature of this newsgroup and should not become one. If you want to see unsolicited advertising, then go ahead and propose a new newsgroup, like uk.d-i-y.adverts, so those of us that do not want to see it can choose not to subscribe.

(fu set to uk.d-i-y only)

Reply to
John Weston

You have up to 4 lines in your sig. That's your lot. You should not be posting simply to show off that sig., and if you do readers are likely to take the hint and specifically avoid buying any product so advertised. Any other advertising is forbidden unless it offers general information that *will* be of interest to some of the readers - and isn't an advert for your product. As an example I will shortly be 'advertising' an annual event in another group; it's an annual show for RISC OS computers and the group is for people who deal with computers as the main part of their job. I don't run the show but I will be one of the exhibitors. That's about as close to 'advertising' as anyone should ever go on uk groups.

Anyone trying to push it further should be told to push off!

Reply to
John Cartmell

Rubbish.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I think perhaps it's time to review your medication.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Perhaps it would be better if you explain what you mean, rather than passing stupid comments.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Ooh, pot, kettle, thingy ...

Reply to
Rob Morley

You're not that stupid, are you?

JC: You can have up to 4 lines in your sig. That's your lot. CB: Rubbish.

Don't you *really* understand what I mean by "rubbish" above?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Absolutely.

The stuff in the green bin. They put it in the big white lorry today.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Reply to
Chris Bacon