Old flat, new electrics - update

I asked a while ago about the potential problems that might be encountered in fitting a new cooker point in a house (I keep calling it a flat - old habits) that has ancient wiring. A big thanks to those who answered my questions. The landlord agreed to fit the point and replace the fuse board. The electrician (brave bloke) having seen the wiring has recommended an inspection and test :) Three gems so far discovered are the rusting socket point suspended in mid-air in the cellar, the light in the cellar appears to be on a spur (?) from a socket in the living room, and the wall and area around the electricity meter and fuse board is sopping wet - about an 1/2 inch of standing water. The electrician was less than impressed at having to stand in a puddle whilst fitting the fuse board. He gave up trying to work out the wiring - said something about ring mains being radials. I was considering having a go at fitting a socket in the cellar :)

Reply to
Sneezy