Old, flat, leisure (golf) battery

Of course I have. At Cleethorpes on the sea front.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

CPC/Farnell ain't a cheap shop. I buy scooter batteries fairly regular and I shop around.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Tayna batteries is usually my first point of call for batteries. I have no idea if any of these fit the OP needs but...

Bev

For car etc batteries found Tayna pretty well unbeatable, even including P&P.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Isn't the Tayna battery an AGM one too?

Reply to
Fredxx

AGM is what they tend to specify for stop/start engines in cars. So presumably gives a better life under heavy use? Not sure about deep discharge, though.

BTW, Lucas is no longer a UK company. And not even sure if all new Lucas branded car bits from the same maker. Their new replacement distributors are poor quality. But the battery brand may be from a different maker.

I normally go for Bosch or Yuasa. For best.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I thought EFB Enhanced Flooded Batteries were now the preferred Stop/Start battery. AGMs have the plates under compression so less likely for lead particle pressed into the plated to fall out.

As a very general rule, the heavier the battery the better. I generally go by weight. Also you should never discharge a battery below 50% or it's life will be seriously compromised. Plate buckling is cited as a cause.

Some batteries are designed for multi-cycle life, but rarely over 2,000 cycles. Some are rated at 80 cycles.

But it is a name, and some of their marine batteries look good on paper.

However the smart money is on Lithium as these can be discharged regularly down to 20%, meaning you don't need the same capacity as a lead-acid bank for the same performance.

But you generally pay for a name. My last car battery was a Yuasa and it was a competitive price.

Reply to
Fredxx

More or less all golf batteries are AGM. (There are presumably li-ion in use now too)

Reply to
Animal

Paying for a name you know was why I mentioned Lucas.

The longest lived car battery I ever had was the first replacement to my (used) BMW, which I kept a long time. The original BMW labelled one did just over 3 years. The Bosch replacement, 11. Never had one last that long before ever.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

The golf trolley is old. Newer batteries are Li-ion, and of course they are more expensive. But presumably there is no reason why it shouldn't work instead of a lead acid is there?

Reply to
AnthonyL

Very helpful. Fortunately it is classed as a 36 hole battery so should only be 50% down after one round. So is it really a 72 hole battery?

On the other hand how do I know when I'm down to 50%?

Weight is 5.85Kg (12lb 14oz in real money).

Reply to
AnthonyL

The main thing to watch with lithium, particularly lithium iron phosphate, is temperature. They don't like running below 0C because there's a big capacity dropoff. An EV has a thermal management system to keep the battery nice and toasty, but if you're using them as a lead acid replacement you may find they don't like being run in the winter.

Probably fine as a starter battery (enough to start the engine which will then recharge them/warm them up) but as a 'leisure' battery you may find the range drops off.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Dead Old Battery Restoration

Not hard, just deadly.

Adrian Caspersz

Certainly a skill, but ought to wear safety sandals to keep acid off toes, and make sure you wipe your hands on your tunic before eating sarnies ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Astonishing.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

It is if you ignore safety. Like a lot of things in life.

Reply to
Animal

I see they don't bother to have different size +ve/-ve terminals!

Reply to
Tim Lamb