Old film 1940's bricklayers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xuUqJH3ehM

Not sure we have seen it before.
Enjoy
--
Adam

The ears would all be stuffed withearpones and somebody would be on their phone?
Brian
--
----- --
On 12/09/2018 07:32, Brian Gaff wrote:

Hopefully it would not be shown through a dirty sheet of glass, which this one seems to be, just to get the logo on.
Luckily I cannot see the video, but I got the gist of the discussion. Brian
--
----- --
On 12/09/2018 08:34, Broadback wrote:

That must be John Huntleys copyright protection.
He used to do fascinating talks at Croydon festival Hall on all manner of stuff, notably railways.
On 11/09/18 20:44, ARW wrote:

No tape measures there, just the old trusty ruler
On Wednesday, 12 September 2018 09:38:19 UTC+1, RobH wrote:

They used chains over long distances. (Didn't stretch).
On 11/09/18 20:44, ARW wrote:

Awesome - shirt and tie on Saturday :) Classy.
On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 20:44:00 +0100, ARW wrote:

No hod-carriers??
On 15/09/2018 12:59, Cursitor Doom wrote:

OK for ground floor but I wouldn't want a labourer to slip and the workmen below showered with bricks.
I don't see any hard hats in the video, not that they would be much good against a brick falling 50ft.
On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 14:15:52 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

Plus I would imagine having a few bricks fall on your head would be a cake-walk in comparison to all the German bombs recently doing likewise! Living through a blitzkrieg really makes one re-calibrate one's concept of what constitutes personal danger. :-)

There were no ambulance chasing lawyers until fairly recently and so unless that person's union subs were up to date giving him access to legal advice nobody really cared if he copped the odd brick on the head or not. Certainly not the building firms themselves.
While any compo should he have won would probably have been derisory in any case.
In the end presumably the casualty figures persuaded the gvt. and/or the insurance industry to act.
michael adams
On Saturday, 15 September 2018 16:23:58 UTC+1, michael adams wrote:

but not act until decades later
I'd also expect that any access to lawyers was prohibitively expensive, and that a court would only have blamed whoever dropped the bricks - or possibly the victim for going where they knew it was risky, ie underneath someone moving bricks.
The fact that the guy was walking onto a crude lift floors up says it all. There was evidently scant concern for safety.
NT

Hence at least one advantage of being in a union, even if it did mean also paying a stamp and tax. Which of course, many weren't : and didn't.

the victim for going where they knew it was risky, ie underneath someone moving bricks.

On the Empire State building some of them used to hitch a ride on the hook of the crane.
https://artblart.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/hine_lewis_man_on_ball-web.jpg
As well as his safety helmet and goggles it looks like he forgot his fluorescent vest as well
michael adams

scribeth thus

Maybe not a direct hit but in any case it would offer some protection as it can absorb the impact to an extent..
--
Tony Sayer

In the film the bricklayers are working on a large block of flats with continuous scaffolding.
In such circumsrtances its obviously easier and cheaper to rig up a lift or lifts to lift stuff to higher floors than it is to employ hod carriers.
This is in contrast to building pairs of semi-detached houses or similar units where installing such lifts simply wouldn't be worthwhile.
This has probably been the case since Victorian times if not earlier.
No special knowledge of the building industry was required to provide this answer, just a modicum of basic common sense.
michael adams
.