Old electric drills weigh a tonne

I'm sorting through dad's old tools, most of which are junk, rusty, or simply duplicate what I already possess.

What to so with his Bridges electric drill is a problem. It's a Bridges (no mention of Stanley) 1/4 inch Mk I DR-2T and there seem to be quite a few on various online sites at prices up to £60.

I would use it, but it weighs 2.14 Kg !!!, is not a hammer drill, only has a 1/4 inch chuck and is mains only.

I powered it up, which must be the first time it has had power for at least 40 years and it smells just like my old Meccano 12V DC motor, or a Scalextric car. Apart from that it just works, but is really only a collectors item (still has the original box).

Keep, or chuck ???

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

All metal case like the original B&Ds?

Unless you have a need to make some kind of workshop jig that needs a source of powered rotation, then it is probably sub optimal for any other use.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup. and has the original metallic silver paint, not the plain white or cream finish that later models had.

Because it has spent the last 40 years in the house inside his old army royal engineers metal trunk, the rubber power cable is in perfect condition, and it didn't trip the ring main RCD either. Phew.

Reply to
Andrew

I had one of those. I had various attachments for, too. All were useless when the drill died.

Reply to
charles

keep...I have one the same bought in 1970

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

I have the white painted one

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

This one must have been bought in the 1950's. It's a Mark 1 drill and no mention of 'Stanley' on the drill or box.

Reply to
Andrew

I still have the 2 speed B&D hammer drill that came in a big plastic case with a bunch of attachments. Not sure what happened to the attachments. Some were just about ok... The circular saw one was crude but worked - limited depth of cut though. The orbital sander was slow but ok, the jigsaw was an ergonomic nightmare with all the charm of a set of bagpipes!

Reply to
John Rumm

I work/volunteer in a local Charity Shop; old power tools , suitably tested, sell surprisingly well and for more money than I would spend on them ! Just check eBay for some idea of prices.

Reply to
Robert

These run the 1950s Bridges tabletop lathes, so are always in demand. Ebay it. Or buy a lathe.

Reply to
Animal

We didn't have tonnes in them days.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

I have several of these, love them.

It needs servicing. Electrical insulation is the main suspect, and the cable is almost certainly scrap. Grease wants cleaning out and changing too.

Once running, it's a small, low-powered drill that's quite heavy. You can drill with it – quite handy for some aluminium pop-rivet fabrication work, but mine sit there with paint stripping and polishing brushes in them permanently. Unlike a modern drill, they'll run 40 hours a week doing this.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I have a Wolf mains electric drill, with a white metal body and painted gold.

Reply to
jon

The rubber cable is in perfect condition (visually), because when not being used, it lived inside his metal army trunk at the top of the stairs, so dry and dark. I'll check out the state of the grease.

Reply to
Andrew

Also true of most of the VIR insulated cables chased into walls in old places that have failed insulation resistance testing!

Don't go by looks, test it. If you can't test it, then assume it is unsafe and replace it.

Reply to
John Rumm

I've just brought home Dad's drill, a Van Dorn 1/2" Junior like this

and corresponding Van Dorn No 40 Bench Drill Stand

I never remember him having it around when I was a kid, probably acquired it from a dead friend or colleague ... I doubt that I need it in addition to my bog std "Clarke-type" drill press.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Problem with most of those drill stands that take a portable drill is a lot of side to side slop. But often have a greater travel than a basic bench drill.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News