Electric Drills

We have a Ryobi electric drill. The case says 12.0 .... anyway it's about 8 years old I think. It is the kind with a rechargeable battery....and it works o.k. for most things. One thing I have never been able to do is drill holes in concrete. I want to put up a hose hanger -- and the drill won't do it. My question is -- should this drill work on concrete? Am I doing something wrong -- it doesn't sound like it's fully charged -- but I'm not sure that is the reason. Any suggestions before I ask someone down the street to do the holes for me? Thanks.

Reply to
Dottie

You're way better off using a hammer drill and of course a masonry bit

Reply to
RBM

Need a 1/2 hammer drill and mason bit for concrete. The combo will go through most concrete and mortar like butter. If you buy another cordless buy an 18 volt with lithium ion battery.

Reply to
A. Baum

Are you using a concrete bit, it should work but slower than a hammer drill.

Reply to
ransley

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 13:59:46 -0800 (PST), Dottie wrote Re Electric Drills:

No. Concrete is way beyond a 12V rechargeable drill, unless you go very slowly and recharge several times.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

Thank you. I was pretty sure the drill just wasn't powerful enough.

Reply to
Dottie

Others already told you that it is not up to concrete work. You also mention it does not sound fully charged. Given the 8 years it has been around, some of the cells may have died and will not hold a charge; a common malady. Either buy a new battery or have the old one rebuilt by someone like

and it will be better than new.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Get yourself an inexpensive star bit for a couple dollars. You buy the size you need for the holes. Simply hammer on it and it will easily break through concrete, a bit tougher when you hit stones, but still easier than a masonry bit in a little drill without the hammer option.

Hard to find a picture of one due to so many people calling "Torx" bits "Star" bits, which they are not.

Here is a poor picture of a star bit that you simply hammer on:

Tony Miklos

Thank you for the picture. I will look tomorrow at Home Depot. I had thought about going ahead and buying a new drill - just hated to spend that much so I could drill a few holes. It's not something I need very often. The house was built in 1983 - it's stucco over concrete block. And I actually need to hang several of those hose hangers.

Dottie

Reply to
Dottie

You don't want to drill through block or brick if you can avoid it. Drill through the mortar joint. Might have to measure to find the joint. I wouldn't pound on stucco with a star drill.

No experience with stucco, but you should be able to get through that and mortar easily with your drill and a masonry bit. But if your drill is shot, you don't need to spend a lot on a drill for that if you go electric. I have this. Tossed about 4 cordless drills/drivers because of bad batteries. No comparison to the battery junk I had.

can find cheaper. But that's a good one. You'll use it for other things. Since I'm leery of getting zapped outside using 120v I usually stand on a rubber car mat or piece of plywood. Always do in damp or wet dirt.

Look at HD for a package with a masonry bit and plugs/screws to fit.

1/4" or 5/16" bit should do. Like this
make sure it's a masonry bit. Think I got a pack with a 5/16" masonry bit when I hung a hose reel on my brick wall. Or just buy a bit and plugs separately. I don't how thick or strong stucco is, so you judge how long the screws should be.

The hose carrier holes didn't line up with the mortar joints when I hung it, so I put 1"x"4 wood strips on the wall, then screwed the reel assembly to those.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Thank you. I was afraid I would have to buy an expensive drill --- I have Bookmarked those two web sites and tomorrow I may buy myself an early Christmas present.

Reply to
Dottie

Why is it that when I try to (hammer) drill a series of 6-8 holes in my basement floor slab to use TAPCONS (for 1 1/4" concrete penetration) to anchor a bottom plate, HALF of them will only go down about 1/2" and then thats it.. no further. I 've even moved the bit 1"-2" side to side and started new holes but no luck..

Am I hitting ROCKS in the concrete mix or maybe REBAR ?

Rudy

How old is the concrete? Is it possible there's a much newer layer over an older one?

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Gotta agree there, could make a mess out of the stucco.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

OT - Angels we have heard on high Telling us go out and buy! (Tom Lehrer)

-- Back in the 50s I had one of his albums. He was really funny and ahead of his time. Hadn't thought about him in a long time.

Dottie

Reply to
Dottie

Drill the hole deeper than the screw and blow out the dust with canned air or your compressor if you have one. A screw gun works better than manually running them in. Once they stop, it is hard to get them going again.

Reply to
gfretwell

I bought a Craftsman electric drill today and went to Lowe's (next door) for the drill bit. The star drill bit was very small and fragile -- and I couldn't see using it for what I wanted. I bought a masonry drill bit. I was able to drill the hole I needed and to enlarge the old hole where the old hose hangar had been. So it's up there. Of course the drill came without any drill bits -- I was going to use the ones left over from the old drill that we used to have but I decided it will be a whole lot easier to just go back and buy a small pouch full of drill bits and start over. I cannot tell exactly what size the old ones are.

Reply to
Dottie

On 11/19/2010 3:46 PM Dottie spake thus:

Tip: Don't just throw drill bits in a pouch and then have to hunt for the right size later: treat yourself to a proper drill index, a case for bits that holds them and identifies them so it's easy to pull the one you want. Not expensive (I prefer the metal ones, but they're getting hard to find--everything's cheap plastic these days).

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Glad to hear that things worked out for you. This is a good group to read, you can learn a lot just lurking.

Reply to
hrhofmann

No "layers" Its 5 yrs old, poured all at once, about 4-5" thick

Rudy