Oil CH boiler installation - position of Tiger Loop?

My apologies for coming back again !

I installed the predecessor to this boiler 25+ years ago so cannot specifically remember quite what instructions I got from the company that sold me the boiler and also a Tiger Loop de-airator.

Anyway it has worked presumably as intended for 25 years in a box just below the boiler (the boiler is an external wall hung one) with the filter and fire isolating valve. But Grants are saying that it should be level or just above the burner oil pump. Googling for advice just says 'near' and that it should not be subjected to high temperatures which in my mind precludes putting it inside the boiler casing. Further there are cutouts in the base of the casing for two fuel pipes which does add to my confusion.

Anyone give me an opinion please?

Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

I have always used a two pipe system perhaps because the burner for my original boiler was on top of it and fired down into the boiler, and the original tank was lower by one or two courses of bricks.

The instructions for a boiler I have at a different location suggest that a tiger loop should be above the level of the burner. This is just shown in a diagram without a height and is not mentioned in the text.

If your new boiler uses more oil when it is running than the old one then it might be wise to follow Grant's instructions. I presume that relocating the tiger loop would not be difficult.

The installation instructions for your boilers will likely tell you the oil consumption rate. You may also be able to download instructions for the burner that the Grant boiler uses which may describe oil supply arrangements.

Reply to
Michael Chare