Oil-fired CH Boiler won't fire

When due to comw on, there is the sound of the pressure jets working but no ignition. Oil tank was low on fuel, so I disconnected flexible fuel pipe at filter and stuck it into 5 gal container of 35 sec - makes no difference. (It's in an outhouse!) Any ideas?

Reply to
wb

Just pulled the burner out a little; no fuel coming out the nozzle so my first suspicions are air lock or blocked nozzle. What's the best way to bleed and should I attempt to remove the nozzle

- there doesn't seem to be enough space for a socket wrench? regards

Reply to
wb

Replace the nozzle. Every year on old burners that are sooting badly.

Also check the photocell for soot, and replace if suspect.

These are not expensive.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Weve been down this road recently so I suggest you google for oil boiler. Also please note 35 second fuel is significantly more trouble to ignite than

28 so a kerosine burner will most likely give you starting up trouble anyway if you try to burn 35. If you really can't get anywhere try us again but with some details of boiler and burner
Reply to
John

Hi John, I've spent half the day googling with little success - I must be asking the wrong questions. I've taken the nozzle out and it doesn't seem to be the problem - rather, the fuel pump seems to be blocked - plunger stuck. Have you any experience of these? .This is a fairly old system (installed about 30 -35 years ago; boiler casing says Thorn, motor says Compton..?, fuel pump does not appear to have a makers name, though there is a label with an arrow and S & R at either end.

Regards

Reply to
wb