Off topice, but can you help?

Wife bought a DVD / Hard drive re-recorder a couple of months ago and I have just got round to setting it up.

What is the difference between the quality from HQ - SP mode - SLP mode and EP mode?

The reason I ask, is that I have to set this thing up so an idiot can understand the instructions that I will write up later. The mode quality is the only thing I have no experience of.

Many thanks for reading this

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Probably depends on the model and on the TV to which it is connected but on my Panasonic LP is perfectly adequate for normal viewing and EP is getting a bit 'noisy'. However I always use SP because on my machine it provides a much faster dubbing to DVD if I need it.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

Read the supplied instructions, it tells you what you need to know. God knows what it makes you if you can't understand the instructions you are going to rewrite!

Reply to
Ian

It's simply a gradation of quality from Very Good down Pretty Crap. I'd say it's very subjective as to how different people regard them, so if you want to decide on a default setting, your best bet is to try some test recordings at different settings and see how they compare on your screen and with your eyes. IME poor quality tends to be most apparent when there's rapid movement, a 'busy' screen, or when the image is dark.

The flip side of the quality thing is the space on the DVD - mine records for an hour at highest quality (ie, not enough for a movie) but

8 hours at lowest quality. I find the intermediate 4-hour setting to be pretty OK for normal use, and only change to the 8-hour one if necessary when I'm setting timer recordings for a fortnight's holiday!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Now now .There's no need for that . To the OP . It's basically a balancing act between how good a quality you want to record and how much recording time you want .Obviously the HQ gives the best quality but a shorter amount of recording time . On mine I have HQ/SQ/LQ and EQ . I rarely use HQ and tend to stick to SQ . The other qualities are a bit iffy .. If you really want to see the qualities on your maching all you can do is record parts on the same programme on each of the options and then replay them and see what you get . It's not something that anyone here can tell you . Stuart

Reply to
Stuart B

Reading the instructions gives me no clue as to the quality of the recording. We have used a VCR for many years and have never used any of the lower quality settings. 3 hours of tape have been enough all these years.

What I wanted was an opinion of quality that I could expect.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Many thanks for that. I think I will go along with your idea of second quality.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Once again, much valuable advice.

Many thanks, I think I know which way to go now.

One of the reasons I asked in the first place is to get the thing up and running with instructions that my wife can follow. As you know, modern machines do not tell you how to do something, they just tell you what each button does.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I'd say a VCR set on normal quality is probably just a bit better than lowest quality on the DVD (YMMV etc etc). Although it's a different type of 'quality', if you get my drift.

David

Reply to
Lobster

In message , Dave writes

Experiment, it's impossible for anyone to describe it to you

It's like asking what resolution you need to set a digital camera to

Like someone else said, SP allows for much faster transfer to DVD

Who reads instructions ?

Reply to
geoff

Now I have a base setting, I won't get any ear ache about quality, I can experiment with the other settings and domestic bliss will roll on for a few more days.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Only old fogies like me :-(

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Aye but do you understand them first time ? :-)

Reply to
Stuart B

In message , Stuart B

Reply to
geoff

Never. It's like learning another language every time :-(

What's an I pod? What's a wii (I thought it was something I did when I got up in the middle of the night)

A few years ago, we bought a video recorder that would record from the code that was printed in the press. If the prog did not start on time, or started early, the video followed the start time (video plus?)

It took me 2 weeks to figure out how to use the bloody thing, so my wife could follow what I had written down.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
Dave

In message , Dave writes

Would she not have been better RTFMing ?

it really is piss simple (well with mine anyway), press "videoplus+", key in the number and hope that the program starts on time, otherwise use PDC

Reply to
geoff

Reply to
geoff

It seems that what you want is spoon feeding.

No one can give a sensible answer unless you identify the make & model. Different manufacturers will use different terms for what are the same modes. E.g. on my Philips DVD recorder the modes are denoted by the length of program you can fit in that mode.

Why not just make some recordings in the different modes and decide for *yourself* what is acceptable to *you*.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

You missed a step - that you seem to need on all modern machines.

"First, turn on the TV."

That annoys the heck out of me, I don't like power cycling CRTs.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ