Off-peak energy discounts

Which is, of course, a problem for families with young children, where the evening meal needs to be cooked and maybe the kids showered and off to bed beofore the cheaper hours start.

Luckily, we are well beyond that stage, but some years ago, it would have been a real problem for us.

I've certainly been impressed by the machine we bought about 18 months ago. It is direct drive and incredibly quiet. We can be taling in the kitchen and we have to look at the display to see if it is still running. Even spin is quiet enough that you don't need to raise your voice at all.

From upstairs we can't tell it is running at all.

One problem is that shifting washing until later means having to tstay up later to transfer it to the dryer, or it'll not be ready for the morning - and most people don't have multiple items of school uniform spare.

Reply to
SteveW

It’s only on days and times of high peak demand/cost to the grid that it’s proposed to offer discounts for avoiding peak time usage, not a daily occurrence.

Anyone who needs to use power at peak times can choose an appropriate tariff that suits their usage pattern.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Yes, but once everyone has smart meters, instead of building enough nuclear power stations, they will throttle peak demand by ensuring that all tariffs are high at peak time. A cheap and easy bodge (like Smart motorways with no hard-shoulder), with no regard for how people actually want (or even need) to structure their day.

Reply to
SteveW

But soon on a very cold winter's day when the wind isn't blowing demand will exceed capacity and we will get long power cuts. This will focus peoples minds and they will demand enough reliable capacity.

Reply to
alan_m

It's bloody frightening how utterly inept governments are.

They really should have their hands pried off the reins of power, starting in Brussels.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher