Of taps and tails

Looking at various taps atm - might go over to the dark side and have ¼-turn ones. Not sure if 2 taps or mixer - depends on the new basin.

Now, so far as I can see, most mixers have flexi tails. I'm rather wary of pressurised flexis over long periods (that's the reason I go for high-rated hose for the washing machine). Are there any things to aware of with flexi tails; also, how are they attached to the tap? I'm wondering about adapting them to take copper pipe (10mm?).

Reply to
PeterC

In message <cjnzzzc9viya.18hqr0vojjcxo$. snipped-for-privacy@40tude.net, PeterC snipped-for-privacy@homecall.co.uk> writes

I have fitted 1/4 turn mixers which come with tapered copper pipes.

I have also fitted lots of flexi-tails during the cottage refurb and come to suspect they suffer from poor installation. It is very easy to put a twist into the flexi while tightening the fixed coupling. Also some supplied with the tap assembly were only rated at 3 bar!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Installation I can do; 3 bar - that's OK for indirect, but then downrate for hot water...! This is why I want to replace the flexi with copper. I assume, but don't know, that the flexi is detachable.

Reply to
PeterC

My 1/4 turn mixer fitted 12 years ago has rigid copper pipes perhaps

3/8" that flared out to 15mm for compression fittings, quite a sod to fit.

Parents fitted last year smaller flexis that fitted hand tight only up into the block, and had compression ends crimped on ... much easier to fit as there's never any space while you're working upside down under the sink, flexi lifespan? who knows ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

You are quite right to be suspicious. They are much quicker to install BUT I thought the braid was stainless steel. It isn't. the braid on mine is rusting. Condensation due to the cold water I expect.

Reply to
harry

Now you mention it, I fitted a mixer about 18 yeras ago and that had copper tails - yes, bit awkward up behind the sink as they weren't quite long enough to show.

This is for a basin, possibly wall-hung, so a bit more access, I hope.

Reply to
PeterC

Could be cheap St. st., i.e. 18% chromium. OK for cutlery that's washed and dried but for long term wetness... The hinges on my windows are mde of that and they are a touch rusty in places.

Reply to
PeterC

The other problem with them is, if your sink is very thin SS, it flexes when you operate the taps. The flexibl pipes give no rigidity where a conventional copper pipe would.

Reply to
harry

I suspect that a flexi would fail to the point of leaking without any external signs, but certainly occasional inspection is worthwhile.

Had time to pop into B&Q yesterday. No tails on any of the taps on display, they're bolted down (slackening off one did show the inlets a bit) and all of the boxes were strapped shut. I saw a Bristan on a site and that had copper tails. I do wonder how good the flow is from a combi through such a small inlet.

Reply to
PeterC