Octopus, meter change, refusing smart meters

Depends on your usage pattern. If you can time-shift a significant amount of your consumption or be flexible about when you use your power you could be a lot better off switching to a company that offers smart variable tariffs. If you have solar panels, a battery or an EV Octopus offer a wealth of different tariffs that could work for you.

Switching isn’t hard these days. Really really easy actually.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Well as I don't have any of the above there is not much to be gained by switching ATM, I have in the past been a regular switcher but until BG will fit me a smart meter my options are limited.

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

There are a couple of apps that read from the DCC data if you have a SMETS 2 meter. I have:-

when I checked it was showing half hour usage up till about an hour ago...

... I also have a Drayton Wiser smart heating controller. They sold a second in-house display which seems to send data back via the wiser hub. You can then display this in the wiser app...

I must admit I have not checked these, but my gas usage in the apps looks ok. Sounds like your gas meter is having trouble linking to the electric meter to pass the data across. They are supposed to be working to fix this...

Dave

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

Fair enough but not having a smart meter doesn’t tie you to a company. Indeed, many folk switch specifically to get a smart meter.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

My SMETS2 was installed during lockdown so they didn't do the IHD setup/walkthrough at the time, they just handed it to me and said it would start working soon. It didn't. After a few weeks I pestered Octopus and they did something at their end and told me how to reset the IHD, and then it started working. It has stayed working since.

No gas here, so can't comment on that.

I've previously had it showing readings a few minutes after each half hour. At the moment it only shows the current day's readings up until 1am (midnight GMT?) and then the previous day's readings are there in full.

Mine is set for half hourly readings - I don't know what happens for more coarse grained readings.

I've stopped using the Hildegard Bright app, but when I did so it got timely half-hour readings. Maybe that 'encouraged' the meter to send them more frequently, I don't know. Or maybe they are communicated every half hour, but the Octopus website only updates once a day?

It's also possible to get widgets ('consumer access devices' or CADs) which talk Zigbee and get live data from the meter and send it to the cloud, rather than going via the DCC. Hildegard sell those, others do too. If you're on Octopus the Octopus Home Mini looks like a good option, if you're prepared to join the waiting list.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

For the suppliers app, this is as expected. Their systems only download the data overnight. The EON app is worse, it may only update every few days.

Yes, the Bright app pulls the latest data from the DCC

I think the device I have with my Wiser does that.

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

There was a phase when people switched to get a smart meter, then switched again as the new supplier couldn't use it.

Reply to
Jethro_uk