IKEA PAX / KOMPLEMENT PLASTIC DOWELS - Where can I find them?

Hi

I have bought a second hand IKEA PAX wardrobe and can't find a replacement for a critical bit of plastic that allows the hinges to be screwed on. The little plastic dowels go into the pre-drilled holes on the side of the wardrobe. This creates a little purchase for the door hinge screws. Does anyone know where I can get these? IKEA have a service where they send you small replacement parts like dowels but you need a parts number and these don't seem to have them.

Thanks,

B.

Reply to
Bee Small

If you can find the instructions (online?) they usually mark the part numbers in the inventory of what's in the box, eg page 8:

They change the design of things, so you might have to dig around to find the right vintage. Various sites keep archives of old manuals.

Otherwise, pre-made wooden dowel pins of various sizes are available online

- maybe you can measure the one you have and look for something similar. Perhaps it doesn't matter if it's made of wood not plastic? (the plastic probably saved them 1p in the manufacturing)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Hmm, it sounded to me from the OP that he didn't want wooden/plastic dowel pins, more like a liner type item, such as you'd like if the hole you have is drilled in chipboard and you want to screw essentially a bolt into that without it wrecking the chipboard hole. So you line it with plastic, in effect.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Bee Small

1:21 PM (0 minutes ago) to uk.d-i-y

Thanks, Tim.

It might be possible to track it down in an old manual. Here is a picture of the part with the screws from an ebay seller.

The price seems a bit steep and we need quite a few, so may just buy the hinges directly from IKEA to be sure that it works.

Reply to
Bee Small

On the picture on that link it's written on the side-plate 'blum', who are a manufacturer of kitchen/etc hinges. If you search 'blum dowel' you come out with various things:

looks like a wall plug. Numerous other suppliers - check for the right size.

There is also a square head version, but seems to be mostly US suppliers:

Blum also have an online catalogue:
Maybe you can find their Blum part number in there?

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I believe these may serve

If all else fails, car body filler can be used and drilled to take the self tap screws extremely successfully, but it's more faff.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I put together a PAX wardrobe for my daughter last year and those fixings were still being used so IKEA should have them in stock. If I recall correctly I think they were already attached to the hinges so you just pushed in the hinge and then tightened the screws to secure the hinge.

Reply to
Tricky Dicky