[O/T] POLL: Marmalade on toast with or without butter?

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 07:48:41 +0000 (UTC), "Keith Willcocks" posted....

Really? I thought it was just health nuts. Chips aren't chips unless they're cooked in lard or dripping, preferrably beef dripping. Chip-shop chips are just a pale imitation nowadays.

Reply to
Peter Ward

You don't need pepper on good dripping! Still, I supposewhatever turns you on ...

Don't you get your own when you roast meat?

That was more to do with BSE but I assure you that many f&c shops now cook in dripping again. The f&c shop suppliers sell a big range of the stuff. Some are so popular you have to order it in advance.No I'm not a f&c shop owner but I do occasionally buy the best to make large numbers of tallow candles for theatres and film.

There, my secret's out and you can all set up in opposition.

Please.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Wouldn't you need five cherries?

You can have my share ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Most of the "spreads" on the market at the moment are no more margarine than they are butter. They are usually even more refined and processed than margarine and contain all sorts of chemical nasties, hydrogenated wotsits and assorted preservatives, stabilisers, emulsifiers, colours and so on - so they might be low in fat compared to butter but they will probably give you cancer.

d.

Reply to
davek

| Mary Fisher wrote: | > Do they still call it marge? Or even margarine? I thought it was now | > 'spread'. | | Most of the "spreads" on the market at the moment are no more margarine | than they are butter. They are usually even more refined and processed | than margarine and contain all sorts of chemical nasties, hydrogenated | wotsits and assorted preservatives, stabilisers, emulsifiers, colours | and so on - so they might be low in fat compared to butter but they | will probably give you cancer.

Evidence that they will give you cancer please.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I know that, very well, but someone mentioned marge and I wondered if marge was still available in the days of easily spreadable hydrogenated oils.

- so they might be low in fat compared to butter but they

Whether they'd do that or not is of no matter to me - I already have cncer - but I want to eat good food and not a cocktail of unnecessary additives.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

If I'm out of marg I put olive oil on bread (not too much though) and toast it in the toaster. Comes out of the toaster as healthy fried bread, and smells wonderful.

Normally though I have a toasted banana sandwich, ripe banana from the fridge and sliced onto wholemeal toast; cold sweet banana and warm wholemeal toast is a good combination (IMHO anyway).

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

You're right about the pepper but you don't seem to get the same quality of dripping these days. My father-in-law was a butcher years ago and he used to say that the meat is dealt with differently these days.

It was earlier than BSE, sometime in the '70s. Up to then, my aforementioned butcher father-in-law, who retired in 1975, had a contract to supply dripping to several local chippies. After the common market ban they all had to switch over to oil. Unfortunately all our local chippies still use it.

< No I'm not a f&c shop
Reply to
Keith Willcocks

I'm fortunate in that I have meat from a daughter's farm, grass fed rare breeds, killed locally, beef hung for four weeks and butchered according to my wishes (usually very large pieces). The dripping is wonderful but I only eat it as a luxury!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Now I'm really jealous. Think of me next time you enjoy that luxurious dripping toast, not to mention the fantastic roasts ;o)

Keith

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

You're always welcome, Keith!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

[...]

Real butter, chunky marmalade.

Alistair J Murray

He's right, my family were pork butchers with a small slaughter house to supply their 5 shops, beef and other meats were also killed "in-house".

If anyone watched the prog (on BBC2?) last night, I didn't, thats the way its done now, productionised mass killing, with little selection by the end supplier.

Grandad actually did a spell in a production butchery that supplied the liners, having been forced out of business by a high street butchery chain in the 60's, the cuts of meat were "total rubbish" and the speed of work required was crazy, so he made the tea with *water tablets* added to slow the feed line to a sensible speed....

I still remember the rendering of scraps for drippin, and him selling "lights and pipes" so people could make their own brawn to keep the wolf from the door mid-week when money was short, something most younger people have never seen.

Niel.

Reply to
Badger

The bread my wife makes is so good it doesn't need butter, so I often just have it with marmalade - toasted or untoasted.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Weller

Five cream cakes?

Reply to
Mike Clarke

No, skip the butter then top the peanut butter [1] with Marmite.

[1] Real unsalted crunchy peanut butter, the sort where you have to stir the oil back in when you open a new jar, not the nasty stuff full of emulsifiers and other chemicals.
Reply to
Mike Clarke

Go on then ...

Mary