Not such bad timing after all

Went to the Diesel House museum to just SEE the mahoosive engine that wasn't due to run today but it turned out that a private party had booked a start-up.

It's an 8 cylinder supercharged 2-stroke double acting engine with sleeve valves above and below the piston. The engine design fell out of favour due to problems with the lower valve/conrod seals. This was evident by the smoke emanating from one cylinder. I think 5 minutes of running time was plenty under the circumstances.

22,500 hp output. Don't know if it appears in the video but the generator just looks like a large enclosed flywheel at the end of the engine. Hard to believe that it can absorb all that power.

Apologies for FB link but having upload problems. I've made it public so it should be viewable by anyone.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Hopefully better quality here...

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

En el artículo , Tim+ escribió:

That was great Tim, thanks. I think it's seeing the piston tops bobbing up and down at the very top that makes it interesting. It's an 'open' engine where you can see what is going on, unlike a car engine.

Bet you're glad you got to see it running while you were in C'hagen.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Those are the crossheads not the pistons. The layout is similar to a steam engine with these big two stroke diesel en gines.

la-sulzer-2.jpg

Reply to
harry

I wonder how much you have to pay to work there?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Those are the tops of the inlet valves that you see on top. Not sure of the correct term, maybe sleeve valves. They're big plugs that unmask inlet ports in the head as they rise and fall.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Yep, sleeve valves.

Adrian

En el artículo , Adrian escribió:

Thanks both.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Not really the same. A sleeve valve is generally a "sleeve" around the piston/barrel that rises, falls or rotates to open ports in the cylinder wall.

These ones are like big pistons in their own right that rise and fall to expose ports in the cylinder head.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

More like normal porting on a two-smoke, then?

Reply to
Adrian

?? Not just simple OHV then?

In my day that would have been a side port valve

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The jpg is pretty self explanatory. Yes it uses piston ports but it has one "thrust" piston and two "valve" pistons (for the double action).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+