maybe lightning cables arent such a good design after all?

While the article says apple isn't too blame you have to wonder how a dangerous voltage got onto the connector when its so exposed.
http://www.alphr.com/apple/1005684/iphone-nearly-kills-man-while-charging-but-not-all-is-as-it-seems
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Do we believe this? Brian
--
----- -
This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Just how many of you are there between those ears, Brenda ?

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
dennis@home.? escribió:

It's bullshit. Lightning cables don't put voltage on any pins until autonegotiation with the connected device is successful. I rather doubt metal dog tags have a lightning chip in them.
What has really happened is that he's used a knock-off charger with inadequate isolation between primary and secondary, so he's had mains voltage on (probably) the metal shell of the lightning connector.
e.g.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNoGCdX1IdQ

But that wouldn't make for yet another sensational "killer phone" news report, would it.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) "Between two evils, I always pick
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

How does *that* work, then? Telepathy?
:o)
(Only yanking your chain, I know what you meant!)
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 21st day of Discord in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
escribió:

Nope what actually happened is that that fool plugged the charger into an extension cord and then managed to get his stupid jewellery across the mains pins of the charger when he didn't even manage to plug the charger into the extension cord properly.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

They’re right, for once.

Nothing to do with the lightning connector, that fool ended up with his stupid jewellery across the mains pins of the charger where it was plugged into the extension cord.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 04/04/17 08:37, dennis@home wrote:

You didn't get this problem when everything had a nice solid transformer in it...
Yes, of course it's Apple's fault if the PSU is so cruddy that mains got onto the ELV side.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 04/04/17 12:32, Tim Watts wrote:

Or (having thought some more) the fault of whoever made that PSU, if it's not a genuine Apple one.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Nothing whatever to do with the design of the PSU.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload


I thought the chain got between the mains pins of the plug or wall-wart and the socket on the mains extension cable. I don't think there was any suggestion that mains got onto the low voltage input to the phone.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload


Yep.

That is clearly what Tim was talking about, erroneously.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 04/04/2017 20:48, NY wrote:

I think there has to be more to it than that. Its only 110V and he got sever burns from the chain. He must have had a path for the current to flow to somewhere and for quite a time to get sever burns. Maybe he got a short between live and an earth somewhere? Is there an actual earth on the connector somewhere? Did the
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload


Yes, I doubt you'd get severe burns if the current flowed through his body. He probably *did* receive a shock, since he reported being thrown off the bed, but I think his burns are because a much high current flowed through the chain (with very little through his body because of its higher resistance) and the chain was heated up. If he was asleep he may not have noticed for a few seconds that he was being burned.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Wouldn't have made any difference in this case. Here's what really happened:
<https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/03/man_electrocuted_sleeping_with _iphone/>
a Darwin award candidate by the looks of it.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) "Between two evils, I always pick
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

The comments are a laugh. "Chargy McPhonetard", indeed.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) "Between two evils, I always pick
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 04/04/2017 13:01, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

I'm still not sure I understand what happened, though. Someone, please explain.
His dog tag makes contact with one of the mains pins, and nothing happens as he's sitting in a nice insulating bed.
Or his tag chain makes contact with both pins, and the metal chain makes a good conductive path between them, and the mains fuse blows.
Or, he has replaced the fuse with a nail, and the chain melts between the two pins, so then the conductive path is through the chain round his neck. And that part of the chain gets red hot, but even so he's only got to pull away from the plug socket for it all to stop.
Maybe the real lesson to be learnt is only to wear really chunky bling that will melt the nail you replaced the fuse with?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

It sounds as if there wasn't a direct path between the pins via the disc of the dog tag, as this wouldn't have given him a shock. So that leaves options 1 and 3: contact with one pin and earth or else contact with both pins but via the chain round his neck. And for him to have got a shock, it suggests 1 - current to earth via his bed etc. If the two ends of the chain had been connected to live and neutral, I'd expect the chain to get very hot and burn him, but I wouldn't expect much current to earth causing a shock.
I suppose even if the fuse blew, that would take time and in the meantime a sizeable current would flow, allowing the chain to get hot.
Are American plugs fused, as our 3-pin plugs are, maybe with fuse of around 13 A, or is the only fuse the one for the whole spur/ring-main circuit? If the plug wasn't fused then a higher current could flow - at a guess the "fuse box" fuse might be around 30 A, as for the UK. I realise that since US voltage as half UK voltages, the fuses may be higher to allow a similar power to be drawn.
It doesn't say much for the construction of US plugs and sockets that the pins withdrew so easily and that a chain could fall between plug and extension socket and touch metal of the pins: with UK plugs, the pins would probably lose contact with the socket before sufficient of the pin was withdrawn to allow contact with metal rather than the plastic shield on the upper part of the pin.
I bet US standards are lower because if the perceived lower danger from a lower voltage.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
No.

US plugs and sockets are flimsy in the extreme and a plug could probably come out of a socket if you kicked it. Even if it didn't come out completely, it would come out enough to expose live pins. The plug pins have no insulated part and the sockets have no shutters.
--
There's no obfuscated Perl contest because it's pointless.

- Jeff Polk
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tuesday, 4 April 2017 15:01:48 UTC+1, NY wrote:

US electrical standard ar on a par with central Africa.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.