timing key

Hi all,

I've been reading about how replacing a timing key in a lawnmower. Is there any place on the internet that tells how to do with with picturess and all?

Thanks, Peggy (who ran over a stump... and now her lawn is at least one foot tall!)

Reply to
pegrowe62

Jimi

kohlerengines.com has free manual downloads, didnt say what motor you have,but they are similar.or maybe perr.com has a tech tip section.lucas

ds549

Most people, instead of making their mower higher than the stump, would leave the height setting the same and go around the hump.

As to the timing key, once you have every thing off that covers the flywheel, and you have the flywheel off, the key is easy to replace. It fits in a notch where half of the notch is in the tapered part of the crank shaft, and the ohter half is in the flywheel.

I'm guessing your question was mostly about the first two lines of the previous paragraph, and for that I refer you Jimi's question. I can't really answer that part anyhow.

Everyone hits something once in a while.

Reply to
mm

Check this.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

a hint. once you get the covers and the nut/clutch off the top of the flywheel,turn the mower on its side so you can see the bolt holding the blade on.Then take a large hammer(bigger the better) and hit the bottom of the crankshaft bolt with the hammer.Hit it square on so as not to mess up the bolt.Most times the flywheel will pop loose on the first try.This is like the toy with the hanging steel balls where when one ball hits the others the one on the opposite end moves.

Reply to
digitalmaster

How did you determine that the timing key is sheared? Have you determined that the crank shaft is not bent? Two things to do before you start to dismantle a mower. Remove the spark plug and drain the oil. The first is for safety and the second is because you'll wish you did

Reply to
RBM

That is a trick I had never heard of. I can't see why it would work. Wouldn't it tighten the flywheel, not loosen it??

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Why would draining the oil be needed to replace the flywheel key? You don't even need to tip the machine.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

It wouldn't if that was all you were going to do, however under the circumstances, she needs to check the crankshaft and blade keys as well

Reply to
RBM