No sound

Very strange. Suddenly last night the sound failed on the TV. Now that's not quite correct because we do have sound when replaying items recorded on the Sky box, both through the internal speakers and via the earphone jack.

Checked all the connections. Turned Sky box on and off. Nothing

So what would cause sound on live tv to fail whilst it works ok on recorded material ?

Reply to
fred

Solved!

Pulled power plug out of Sky box for hard reboot.

Still very strange behaviour

Reply to
fred

any number of things. Firstly - is all your viewing by the Sky Box - or do you watch terrestrial tv, too. Is it that where the sound has gone?

Reply to
Charles Hope

It's a computer - they do that sort of thing from time to time.

Reply to
Charles Hope

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My Humax Satellite receiver does it sometimes.

Reply to
Dave W

Had a similar problem a few weeks ago on my Sony TV and Humax 9200 pvr. Eventually powered down (not just standby) all the boxes (TV, PVR, VM set top box, media streamer), then powered up again and problem cleared.

Reply to
Davidm

My Humax Foxsat box appeared to have its sound virtually inaudible over HDM I. After trying (almost) everything, I accidentally sat on the remote or so mething and the audio level changed. It turned out the volume level of the box over HDMI was affected by the boxes volume setting. I had just assumed HDMI sent the digital audio signal irrespective of volume level, which woul d be controlled by the end device, but I was obviously wrong. I think there must be a protocol to send required output volume over HDMI. This was confirmed when I noticed a slight audio blip at the normal volume level when switching things on in a certain order.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson