NiMH Batterys

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman" saying something like:

That's the one I've got - it handles the older 7.2 nicads perfectly fine.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The message from Broadback contains these words:

One man's longish walk might be another's super marathon and no battery charge will last for ever but those etrex GPSs that have the barometer/electronic compass option have a reputation for eating batteries if the compass is used. If you have the compass normally turned on then try the gps with the electronic compass off or, if you must have it, adjust the settings so that it is only on when you are stationary. Personally I have never needed to use the electronic compass (I currently have a Vista) but it must be useful to a significant number of people otherwise Garmin would surely never have introduced it in the first place.

Reply to
Roger

On Jun 13, 2:12=A0pm, The Natural Philosopher

IMHO you have that arse about face. NiMH have far lower self discharge than NiCad. I haven't charged my NiMH screwdriver for months and it still works fine where a NiCad one would need charging every time i needed to use it.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

LOL. I guess handheld GPS must be useful to those who can't navigate the old fashioned way, otherwise Garmin and others would surely never have introduced them in the first place.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

The message

from "Man at B&Q" contains these words:

Hand held GPS can be useful even to those who can navigate the old fashioned way. However I remain to be convinced of the usefulness of a compass whose accuracy is quoted as plus/minus 5 degrees.

Reply to
Roger

Might be good enough to get you going in at least the right general direction, if you were stuck in some wilderness or on the sea in really bad weather, with no map data for the area, loaded ??

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

The message from "Arfa Daily" contains these words:

Looking at moss on the N side of trees or one of the other natural indicators will probably give as good an indication of N as the electronic compass but that is not really the point. If you are moving the map screen will automatically orient so you will know which way you are going even if you don't know what it is ahead and even if you have the typical handheld which has a map screen that tells you almost nothing about the topography.

Personally I always carry a proper compass and at least a printout of the map when I am out walking in unfamiliar areas. I will use the map as the principal navigational tool and will take a bearing with the compass if I need to identify a feature in the distance.

Reply to
Roger