NICEIC blatantly gold plates the regs.

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 15:57:36 +0100, "Ian_m" mused:

Nope, the definition of when to use an RCD (for now at least) is for when supplying portable equipment that can reasonably be expected to be used outdoors.

I think you mean sockets. ;)

Reply to
Lurch

Or to ensure the required disconnection time, which would be an exceptional circuit on an TN-S or TN-C-S supply.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Wot about a washing machine in a bathroom?

David

Reply to
Lobster

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 19:01:06 GMT, Lobster mused:

Erm, yeah. What I meant was there is no definition of when to use an RCD, there is a list of scenarios though, including the above 2 examples. ;)

Reply to
Lurch

Looking at this thread, could you just use a rule of thumb?:

"RCD for everything unless false tripping would be detrimental (freezer, boiler etc) and the outlet is not in a proscribed zone."

I don't see many disadvantages to rcd unless all my frozen stuff melted or my house froze while I was on Winter holiday! But I'm not an expert.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 08:38:05 +0100, TheOldFellow mused:

That's generally what happens, all sockets and the shower get RCD protection whilst all lighting and heating doesn't.

Reply to
Lurch