Newbie tiling: more questions

My wall tiles are 150 x 150 mm. I have bought some "fancy" border tiles, but they are 148mm wide. After putting a couple up on the wall it is obvious that the grout line is going to be slightly wider when it meets these tiles.

  • Is this something that will be less noticeable when I grout up all the tiles?
  • Similarly, some tiles are slightly off the level (bumpy wall) and there is a slight jump from one tile to the next as you run your finger along the face of the tiles. Will this be less noticeable after grouting?

Thanks Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

If you line the smaller tile up so that it aligns with the middle of the bugger one, then it will be less noticiable. Especially as the change in pattern will distract the eye a little.

That is harder to hide... the usual cure is to use a thicker bed of adhesive - rather than just spread it with the usual "ribbed line" pattern, lay it on about 3mm thick and then add the ribbed lines to the top. That way you can even out the bumps a bit more as you go since you are in effect re skimming the wall.

Reply to
John Rumm

Indeed, when you're laying the tile, you should ensure there's no proudness with the neighbouring tile in both north/south and east west directions (for 4 adjoining tiles). Run your finger over the join to check and build up with adhesive where necessary.

This is especaially difficult when you lay a set of tiles then down tools for the night, best to lay sheets of tiles in one wall stretch as much as possible.

Rgds

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

Yes, thanks. There are some tiles where the edges stand "proud". I should have spent more time on surface preparation...I'll know better next time.

Incidentally, if I was laying larger tiles than 15 x 15cm, would I be right in saying that ensuring a flat surface was even more essential?

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

Surface preparation is really not the answer, as long as it's 'nearly there' rough walls just take more adhesive, really !

Once the tile is bedded, just peel the tile back by one corner and put a blob behind, there's enough adhesive there to hold the tile firm.

essential?

Yes, I found this out on my first tiling job in the bathroom. I bought the biggest tiles imaginable (about 30 by 50cm) to make sure the job went quickly. I said so on here and the first response back was 'I hope your walls are straight' !

They weren't and it was a bit of a game to get them on.

Cheers,

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

Big tiles are better in a way because they rock about more obviously on the high spots and force you to correct things as you go. By contrast, 4" tiles are a dream to put up and you don't see the wave effect till you've finished.

Reply to
Stuart Noble