New washing machine overflowing standpipe

Hi,

We have just changed our washing machine from a Bosh to a Miele. I have hooked it up to the water supply and drain. As soon as it starts pumping out water, it overflows the standpipe. I have checked the u-bend and there was a very small amount of gunge in it, nothing substantial. I cleaned it all out anyway but still overflows.

I am wondering if the Miele has a much more powerful pump than the Bosh and is overwhelming the standpipe.

If I wanted to convert it to an enclosed system, is it just a matter of attaching something like this to the top of the standpipe?

Thanks

Alan

Reply to
AlanC

Do the fitting instructions specify a minimum height the outlet must rise up to, before turning down into the standpipe?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I cant see anything in the instructions. It just says that the pump has a 1m high delivery head.

The outlet hose goes through a hole into the adjacent cupboard into the services void. The hole is about 82cm from the floor. The outlet hose the drops down slightly (about 13xm) as it comes from the service void into the cupboard area where the standpipe is. It then goes up again where it enters the top of the standpipe which about 83cm from the ground (the washing machine is about 84cm tall).

Alan

Reply to
AlanC

This is the installation manual:

Page 10 is where it refers to the water drainage.

Reply to
AlanC

Disassemble the pipe run after the trap and check for an obstruction due to a burr at one of the joints

Reply to
John J

Is it just an initial overflow or does it continue for all of the drain cycle. Perhaps the pocket air trapped between the water in the U bend and the new water filling the top of the drain pipe has to be expelled from the top of the drain pipe bringing the water with it.

Try poking the washing machine drain hose much further down the drain pipe. You will have to remove the plastic bend former on the washing machine drain hose and reposition it further back from the end of the hose.

Reply to
alan_m

The pipe after the trap is all solvent weld and behind the cabinet. It would probably require the cabinet to be removed to get to it.

I have stuck an inspection camera down this part but there are 2 90deg bends which basically lower then pipe level to the short (about 30cm) run to the soil stack. I have a 90deg mirror attachment on the inspection camera so I can see the initial part of the straight run to the soil stack. There is some gunge in there abut it doesnt seem overly restricted.

Reply to
AlanC

To be honest, I am not 100% sure. It looks like it would just continue. When it happens it took about 5/6 seconds for me to stop the machine as water was flooding out everywhere.

I have tried sticking the pipe as far down as I can get it but the same thing happened.

I have also tried fitting a clamp on connector to standpipe adapter (where you push the discharge hose onto a nozzle and secure with a jubilee clip). This has an air vent at the top. The water was just ejected out of this vent at high speed.

Given that the old machine worked fine (it was last used on Saturday) and the Miele has overflowed since it connected on Monday, we are thinking about returning it and going with another Bosch!

Reply to
AlanC

all you need do is connect the thing in a watertight manner. If water comes out the vent, sealing that shut would sort it pdq. It's not the machine's fault. Then do a boiling wash with detergent, odds are it'll dislodge some of the muck.

Reply to
Animal

Probably better with a couple of boil wash cycles with a cupfull or three of washing soda

The occasional boil wash with washing soda will remove any smells from the machine and also remove a lot of gunk from the drian hose and following pipe work.

Reply to
alan_m

Any new machine may have a more powerful pump than your old one. I think you’d be better off cleaning your drains!

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

"Connected securely to a plastic drain pipe with a rubber nipple (there is no need to use a siphon)."

That seems to say that you can just get whatever adaptor you need to seal the hose into the existing pipework.

Reply to
Rob Morley

The Meile was collected on Friday and a Siemens delivered on Saturday.

Water is pumping out without overflowing :-) (as it was doing before with the old machine)

I noticed in the manual that there is an option to have a 1.8m head pump fitted (for longer runs to the waste). I suspect that the machine we had may have had the more powerful pump fitted.

Reply to
AlanC