New tougher MOTs.

It's the buses that stink, but they don't seem to need MOTs.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

They don't get so much money, now that we all just read the papers for free online.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

What do you expect from a Welsh organisation?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

And with everything from street lights, building flood lighting and car head lights tending towards cool white LED. You can't tell if that light you caught a glimpse of through some trees is a street light a flood light or headlight of an approaching car.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Anyone using a headlight during daylight hours I assume must be flashing to let me go first. They can get out of my way.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Yep, I keep switching to dip for the light a mile or so away on a farmers Sheep shed up the road , One night I said to the missus" I've dipped for the bloody sheep again", she retorted "it's only fair , you dipped loads of them when your dad had a farm".

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Whoops. :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

which is good because that makes you slow down just like blue lights do .......

Reply to
Jimbo

Speed bumps make you think people are flashing you to go first...very dangerous they are..........

Reply to
Jimbo

pause for paws .....

Reply to
Jimbo

:-)

Reply to
newshound

Do you have to declare it on your P11D as a benefit in kind (that the rest of the family also benefit from too) ?.

People with company cars have to.

Reply to
Andrew

But those are pre euro5 and will carry on being used.

Reply to
Andrew

If you're slowing down for things you don't need to slow down for.... well.... ever heard of "crying wolf"?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Agreed. Plus the headlights that shouldn't be on during the day.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Interesting question.

The actual blurb states that the car has to be used "for the benefit of the PIP recipient" (and is registered in their name). Motability have confirmed to me that this includes the partner using it to/from work. After all, that's benefiting the disabled person ?

I suspect if the use were restricted to solely carrying the disabled person *and nothing else* the need for second cars would rather make a mockery of any green credentials any government might want to parade.

Bearing in mind there will be quite a few situations (like ours) where the recipient of the car is unable to drive it themselves.

QUOTE The car is used by, or for the benefit of, the disabled person. This does not mean that the disabled person needs to be in the car for every journey. In practice, this means other named drivers in the household can use the car for shopping and other routine activities, as long as the disabled customer will benefit ENDQUOTE

Reply to
Jethro_uk

In my car, which is too old to have LED daylight running lights, I tend to drive on dipped headlights on twisty country lanes, so there's a chance that an oncoming car will see me and I will see him before we meet face-to-face, because the headlights may be visible through gaps in walls, hedges etc. Originally it was just bikers and Volvo drivers who did it, but now many people realise the advantage of being seen further away. Of course you still get the opposite extreme: people who don't put on their headlights at dusk or in fog or heavy rain, and have no idea how invisible they are.

In my wife's car which has DRLs, I tend to use those without dipped headlights, apart from in areas of deep shade (eg a heavily wooded road) when it's bright sunlight elsewhere, to allow for the time it takes your eyes to adjust to the (comparative) darkness.

I prefer too much light to too little. The only lights that are a problem are some cycling lights, at night, which are too bright for the conditions and/or are pointing in the wrong direction. You see the cyclist, no problem, but may have difficulty seeing anything else such as where the kerbs and central white line are. They'd certainly be too bright or badly adjusted for a car, and would probably fail the MOT and may result in a fine if the police caught you.

Reply to
NY

just drove down the A7...anything that slows down those buggers is a good thing........but then again that is where my new liver came from .......so why complain .......

Reply to
Jimbo in Hawick ...

try switching them off on a modern motorbike .......

Reply to
Jimbo in Hawick ...

I was referring to cars. Lights draw attention to something. They should be used for something unusual, like a motorcycle or an ambulance, NOT a car. If your attention is drawn to everything then you no longer spot the ambulance.

Same goes for hivis jackets - they should be worn by blind folk, or someone working in the middle of a busy motorway, not every Tom Dick and Harry out walking their dog.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword