New toilet

Hi, my elderly mother has recently moved in with us & I would like to install a small cloakroom in her bedroom.

Are there any regulations which would exclude a toilet in a bedroom?

I can site the toilet & cistern against an outside wall. Can I take the waste pipe straight through an outside wall? Or does the waste pipe have to go down through the floor before going through the outside wall.

Thanks for looking.

jez.

Reply to
jez

There are regulations for air venting a toilet room, so that is one part you'd need to do research on through your local building control people. You will need to isolate the loo area from the rest of the room to reduce cross contamination to a sleeping area, and also install hand washing facilities along side the toilet system.

Drainage and waste water need to be connected to a full stack pipe that is air vented above the guttering or ridge height of the roof depending on the construction of your property. The stack pipe needs to be at least 110 mm internal diameter and have rodding access points at or just before each change of direction, but not counting the loo connection point.

The drainage also needs to be tested for gas tightness on all points that carry solid waste beyond sub terrain ground water traps, and these tests must be recorded for building control inspection and consent.

Reply to
BigWallop

You could use a macerator and a small bore pipe. It may be easier (until it needs unblocking).

Reply to
<me9

Blimey, I never knew having a dump could be so complicated.

Reply to
RedOnRed

Having the dump isn't complicated, well, not all the time, but getting rid of it without having the smells, explosive gases and germs going to places you don't want them is the complicated part. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop