New televisions from China or Taiwan

In message , ARWadsworth writes

Prolly not in full view of the public ...

Reply to
geoff

In article , Tim Watts scribeth thus

Grade A ones.. Wandered into curry's in Cambridge was given some right olde bollocks, nearly died laughing when he told me they couldn't get one aerial to feed so many tellies as the pictures wouldn't be bright and colourful enough;!....

Reply to
tony sayer

Sure..They would probably enjoy it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm always puzzled when I see that statement. What does it mean, to be able to afford something? Does it mean spend the maximum you can before going without food this month? I could afford to buy a Rolls Royce, in the sense that I have sufficient liquid assets, but I wouldn't dream of it. Surely there's always some sort of balancing of cost and reward, i.e. value for money, going on?

Reply to
Gib Bogle

In message , ARWadsworth writes

Alternative answer

... saves subscription to those expensive cable channels

Reply to
geoff

I'm rather tempted to bring a small laptop into these places, broadcast a small local unsecured hotspot and watch the iPads automatically join it - and then when Safari opens and requires DNS... Oh how e_v_i_l ;-)

Reply to
Adrian C

It's just more convenient to have everything available on the TV set's remote. I prefer not to have the TV set reliant on an external box.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

All verrrry interesting... See also

Bill Wright

In order of (descending) importance for non-critical 'coronation street' use

1) easy of use 2) reliability 3) sound quality 4) power consumption 5) picture quality 6) features 1080p 7) make - Morrisons Neon 8) country of manufacture - Ex soviet bloc

In order of (descending) importance for critical 'bluyray films in the dark' building in bragging rights ...

1) country of manufacture - Japan 1) make - Sony 2) features 1080p 3) picture quality 4) power consumption 5) sound quality 6) reliability 7) ease of use

Or thereabouts ;-)

Reply to
Adrian C

In message , J G Miller writes

That was really my point. Presumably someone in the Sony organisation, and any other moderately well known badge, has realised that in some backward parts of the world such as the UK, digital planning might have been economised out of the system. The STB that ended up with the list of random channel numbers and a translation chart was from a pile of, I think, Matsui badged things in Curry's. We had previously taken 2 other faulty STB's back to another Currys. Before one of them died, I'd failed to make it remember the re-located stations. In between, I discussed with the nice man in Comet whether we could return his STB if it wouldn't re-number the channels. He said no. I thanked him and left.

Reply to
Bill

Argos are now not competitive with Online retailers. I bought a latest model 38" Plasma Panasonic TV from HCS Direct last year for nearly £200 less than Argos charged for similar models.

Derek F

Well if they can sell a 4G SD card for =A324 or a Belkin IEC mains lead for =A320 or online backup storage for =A340/yr (all on offer at the tills yesterday) I admire their sales skills.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

They rely on the fact that the great Brit public are totally clueless about such things.. and therefore they will go there...

No real sales skills at all .. Just ignorance of behalf of the customer..

Reply to
tony sayer

tony sayer wibbled on Monday 26 July 2010 13:16

I was about to say just that...

Sometimes, PC World can produce something at the same or better price as the online retailers, in which case I'll get it - but they are no longer a proper computer store in the same way that Maplins is no longer a proper electronics store...

Reply to
Tim Watts

On the contrary - "cheap" branded sets from a known make like Samsung won't cost a huge amount more than a supermarket no-name cheapie and will be better quality (particularly in the casing design) and you stand a chance of getting them repaired if they do go faulty.

Something like this might be of interest...

this.

Dr Zoidberg

I am surprised that few people are making much of the difference between plasma and lcd.

I'd have thought that would be the starting point (just like deciding whether you wanted a petrol or diesel car) before worrying which country it came from.

Tony

Reply to
TonyGamble

come close to overlapping - Belmont, Tacolneston, Sandy Heath, Waltham

- and that's *before* DSO.

We have to resort to manual tuning every one of our TVs. The Panasonics at least allow you to disable auto-updates (but that means new channels don't appear without another manual tune). The Toshiba has no such facility, so regular manual editing is required to correct channel assignment 'mistakes' following an update. The Sony is a disaster, because the manual tuning ignores the preferred LCN and you have to enter it yourself for every single channel!

Is there any sign of recognition from 'the powers that be' of how serious this problem is, and how much more serious it will become after DSO?

Richard.

Richard Russell

Am I right in thinking that plasmas lose 50% of their brightness in 5 years? Or are they better now?

Reply to
Tim Streater

why not get a TV with built in FreeSat HD tuner ? ......... no need to add a box.

I used to think Panasonic were the best, and on CRT & Plasma they were ...but for LCD ... Samsung wins hands down .... now have 3 Samsung TV's .......

avoid LG as they seem to have a failure mode that causes failure 1 month after warranty expires ... after sales is atrocious.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Not at all. We are talking about do you spend £300 on a supermarket cheapie, or £400-450 on a quality name. At both price points you can get a Plasma or LCD set, so once you have decided on a budget, *then* you look at specific models and types of technology

Reply to
Dr Zoidberg