new outside light

Hi All,

I need to fit a light outside our back door so we can see the bins etc now that the nights are drawing in :) I dont have easy access to the lighting circuit in the kitchen so I am going to take the feed for the light from an fcu fed from the existing ring in the kitchen. The kitchen is all nicely decorated and tiled etc so I am looking to create minimal disruption, is it acceptable for me to bring the cable for the external light through the external then internal wall above my kitchen cabinets where it would then be connected to a JB fed from the FCU directly below the same kitchen cabinet? What is the preferred cable type to use between the JB and the external light fitting? I know that about 99% of installations that I have noticed simplu use t&e but is there a better alternative? (depending on the desired location of the light there may be some wiring exposed on a run outside).

I know about part P thanks :)

Gerry (from Scotland)

Reply to
gerry

I just used some 3-core flex rated for external use. It had a thicker insulation than normal and a rubbery exterior that was resistant to UV. But as you say, you can get away with TWE most of the time. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Cheers, where did you buy the flex? TLC dont seem to do it (unless I have missed it)

Reply to
gerry

Normal T&E might deteriorate from exposure to UV light, especially if on a south facing wall but often seems to be used without problems. For something more durable you could use Hituf .

Reply to
Mike Clarke

I just got it from B&Q cut off a roll. It said exterior cable, UV safe, I only wanted a short length. If you go to any electical wholesalers, I'm sure they will provide something similar. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Hi-tuff, on the TLC website.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Try this:

reality is is usually better to wire inside and drill through to the back of the light fitting when you can.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks to all. The Hi-Tuf might be the way forward! After much deliberation, I think that I will try and do as John says and fit the light in such a position that the cable is fitted into the rear of the fitting and is therefore unseen. However... I may want to add another one or possibly two lights in series off this light so will probably use hi-tuff to do it.

Reply to
gerry

You can use T&E in conduit if you prefer... its what I did on my outside lights - tends to look a bit neater than surface wires clipped on.

Reply to
John Rumm

If you connect more lights they need to be in parallel not series.

T&E is fine if painted with gloss topcoat to eliminate the slight risk of too much uv damage, but is no longer compliant.

NT

Reply to
meow2222