New London taxis glued together.

There was an interesting program about making London taxis on Channel 4 on Saturday night.
The main taxi body is made up from various bits of aluminium which are
glued together. The glue has to be baked to make in harden. It was possible to wait a few days after the glue was applied before it had tom be baked.
There was another part of the vehicle where glue was used, but in that case the glue cured much more quickly.
I did wonder if the glues could be purchased for domestic use?
--
Michael Chare

On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 23:37:57 +0100, Michael Chare

A garage owning friend has a two part glue that is considered acceptable for repair patches on MOT work.
I'm not sure if there are any restrictions on where such repairs can be made?
I think chemical bonding has been fairly common on ally things for many years?
I wonder if it affects insurance premiums (if you have a car that is)?
Cheers, T i m
On Sunday, 26 July 2020 23:38:49 UTC+1, Michael Chare wrote:

epoxy I presume.
NT
On 26/07/2020 23:37, Michael Chare wrote:

Its called araldite
Doesn't really set unless heat is used.
twenty-first century’s developed world went into hysterical panic over a
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Yes it's an epoxy, I think the program mentioned 1-part, rather than 2-part
<https://www.antala.uk/dupont-new-electric-london-taxi
On 27/07/2020 07:26, Andy Burns wrote:

Previous programs showing Morgan and Aston Martin building their cars using an aluminium core used the same techniques.
Andrew wrote:

A pair of bacteria have been discovered that can 'eat' epoxy, give them a few years ...
<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6267298
On 27/07/2020 07:28, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

It needs something to attach to jim. Have you considered getting someone to 3D print a new plastic tank ?.
On 26/07/2020 23:37, Michael Chare wrote:

Baked in a 'giant' oven that perhaps was pressurised ?

People tend not to have autoclaves in the house so I wouldn't thinh there was much call for it domestically.
On 27/07/2020 07:34, soup wrote:

Many processes use a large plastic bag and use a vacuum to force the component pieces together
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 27/07/2020 09:30, alan_m wrote:

Seen that system used to ensure glass fibres are fully impregnated with resin. So that your million pound supercar doesn't delaminate.
The maximum 'clamping' force that can produce is one atmosphere (14.69 PSI)
Autoclaves can run at 30PSI over that. So roughly three atmospheres
On Monday, 27 July 2020 07:34:42 UTC+1, soup wrote:

we use ovens. Domestic epoxy is pretty popular.
NT
It has to have some kind of etching substance in it or it would simply adhere to the oxide and it would tend to fall to bits surely? So why use metal at all then? Brian
--
----- --
Brian Gaff wrote:

Ask formula1 how cheap their composite carbon fibre chassis are?
On Sunday, 26 July 2020 23:38:49 UTC+1, Michael Chare wrote:

You can buy aerolite - which (more or less) was used for Mosquitoes. (Yes, I know they were primarily wood not aluminium.) I suspect that was a very demanding role.

one of the previous episodes showed that their cars were glued too
can't recall which manufacturer
tim... wrote:

Volvo? Lotus? ... both same owner.

choose one of: Bentley, Aston Martin, Morgan
On 27/07/2020 15:21, tim... wrote:

The Bentley body came from Germany, and we didn't see it being made, whereas the W12 engine was assembled in Crewe, while Aston Martin made their chassis/body from scratch (also Morgan) but bought the engine and gearbox from AMG /merc
After serious thinking tim... wrote :

Lotus?