Gram Input

Hi All,
Back in the day when I were too poor to born (I were knitted by the WRVS an d dropped throuh’t letterbox when me mam weren’t looking).

My “HiFi” Consisted of a busted Dansette clone with no amp or transformer (we used my train set transformer and a dropper resister). A nd the Gram input of a valve radio (we had a similar setup downstairs which my father had built into an old sideboard to make a Radiogram)
Anyway, I used to play 45s and later LPs on this.
I imagine the radio was probably just post war.
Would this have had RIAA Compensation circuitry built in?
Only the records sounded fine to me, which makes me wonder if RIAA isn? ??t that important??
Or maybe it did (and 78s also used RIAA??)
TIA
Chris
On Monday, 27 July 2020 08:57:29 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@o2.co.uk wrote:

RIAA became standard about 1954 on LPs
Accoustic 78s were made without equalisation; electrical 78s had varying equalisation curves depending on company (and year of production)
http://www.shellac.org/wams/wequal.html and http://midimagic.sgc-hosting.com/mixphono.htm
RIAA seems to be about average, if you have nothing else.
"the majority of all 78 rpm records can be equalised within a 2dB of the nominal (or alleged) curves claimed, using 4 low and 5 high frequency ranges - including flat and true RIAA for both."
Multi standard equaliser circuit
https://sound-au.com/project91.htm
Now it can be done in software https://www.tracertek.com/cms-display/newway.html
Owain
Yes but wind up gramophones sounded quite nice the big ones anyway with bass.
There were lots of eqs about, look at Decca FFRR, which to my ears sounded screechy.
I actually think these days that some CDs seem to be being made with an odd EQ setting as well. I've heard talk of this on high end players being detected and compensated for giving some enhancement of the graininess some recordings can exhibit. Sounds a bit like Russ Andrews territory to me, I prefer the theory that the person doing the final balance was going deaf. Brian
--
----- --
On 27/07/2020 08:57, snipped-for-privacy@o2.co.uk wrote:

If it used s ceramic or crystal pickup voltage was proportional to deflection, not to velocity, so it would not have needed one.

No, but they still had an amplitude/deflection relationship.

--
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered...
...than to have answers that cannot be questioned

Just what I was going to say. Will have been "crystal" in those days. I guess electromagnetic pickups might have been used in studio equipment.
On Monday, 27 July 2020 12:09:17 UTC+1, newshound wrote:

t looking).

amp or

+1. To call such kit hifi is of course fantasy. The sound quality of kit li ke that was normally hideous. 1970s lofis were a revelation, suddenly one c ould make out the words.
NT
Yes well, much like early guitar amps or stuff of that ilk. I have to say though that valve distortion was more tolerable than the early transistor amps with crossover distortion due to the heat affecting where the linear curve started and stopped.
About the best of the Germanium ones for sound was the z12 by Sinclair. It could sound quite good but obviously on a scope at the crossover point, though tiny, there ewes a bit of a signal there that varied with heat. Much better later on when silicon devices came along, and finally power fets. Brian
--
----- --
On 27/07/2020 16:58, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Ah the Z12. With Sinclair's famous guarantee that "If you ever break it we will fix it for 50p. I blew up several of them by managing to run them with no speaker connected. You didn't even have to be providing a signal at the time.
Yes my Rogers Cadet has two plugs based on an octal system, and one is for ceramic the other magnetic which has the riaa. I used a Decca Deram. That was actually pretty amazing for a crystal pick up in its day. One thing is of course when a mixer never had enough line inputs, ceramic cart settings on a pick up input could be used if one was careful about matching and levels. Brian
--
----- --
On Monday, 27 July 2020 16:53:29 UTC+1, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

I had a Decca Deram long ago - it was magnetic.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

I don't think so; DEcca ceRAMic
--
Chris Holford

I had a Decca ffss - that was magnetic
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

The Decca Deram cartridge is ceramic. Advertised as the first true Hi-Fi ceramic.
--
*A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 11:22:26 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Indeed. I used to sell them when I worked in a hi-fi shop!
On 28/07/2020 14:39, Bob Eager wrote:

Did anyone come in asking for a "gramophone"?
--
Max Demian

On 28/07/2020 17:07, Max Demian wrote:

does it have Dolby?
--
Adrian C

No Dolby on the turntable 11::^*>>))
But it does have Woofers Grandad!

Decca was first known for the FFSS range. Designed by a BBC type, and based on a miniaturised EMI 78 rpm mono unit. Being a BBC employee, he had to offer it to the BBC first. They decided it too delicate for pro use, so he sold it to Decca.
--
*Why were the Indians here first? They had reservations.*

On Tuesday, 28 July 2020 14:39:57 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:

A quick google shows what I had was not a Deram.
NT
Have you ever looked at cylinders? A lot of those used vertical modulation which made the groove shallow sometimes and they relied on the thread pitch of the screw to keep it in the right place. I did once see on the bbc stand at a show, an electrified cylinder player sporting a goldring cartridge, but according to the bloke there, the foil ones played OK, but not the pure wax ones as they were drying out and cracking and there was a project to play them all with a laser before they fell to bits. I wonder if in days to come we will start having issues with CDs and other optical media? Brian
--
----- --