New laser printer + scanner - and linux

HP have excellent linux support for the scanner element in their network multifunctionals.

Does any other manufacturer these days have equally good support for network scanning with SANE?

I'm looking to replace an HP C6180 inkjet+scanner that worked well, but the ink is pricey and it's old and getting decrepid.

HP seen to be a little short of options in the 300-400 price range and the

500 quid ones are not getting good user reviews.

I'm pretty sure Canon will not have good linux support but I'm not up on Dell, Samsung, lexmark etc.

I'll research this more, but some pointers to limit the options would be handy :)

Cheers,

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

I have found support for NEW HP scanners to be rather bad in Linux.

In fact Xsane is probably the weakest area of linux altogether.

check with the Xsane sites for drivers BEFORE buying the scanner.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've got a Canon MP610 multifunctional printer/scanner and it has full support in Linux through both Canon's own software and SANE. It's a few years old now but I'd be surprised if such support wasn't available for more recent models also.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Hi Mathew,

Thanks - that is very interesting - Canon used to be fairly anti linux but their printers are good.

I'll have a run down their models and see what they have

Cheers!

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts