New Boiler - planning ahead

My current Worcester Heatslave High Flow 23 kW (open flue - open vent primary) is a floor standing one in an upstairs airing cupboard. At 21 years old I need to think about a replacement and am aware there is a bigger choice if I go for a wall mounted boiler. (focus is on Veissmann)

The airing cupboard is made of plasterboard (sandwich) so I am not too happy about wall mounting. Concerns include noise transmission to adjoining bedroom. Is it feasible (and legal) to adapt a wall mounting jig to be floor standing - with a bit of welding of some brackets?

I would also be interested in using the loft above the airing cupboard - but my roof is sort of pyramid shaped - could I make a bulkhead out of chipboard to mount a boiler onto it. This could be fixed to the roof cross braces. As well as flooring, what other considerations would there be if I wanted to used the loft?

Reply to
John

I don't think you'd have that much trouble with noise transmission.

IN the loft you'd have to comply with any instruction from Veissmann and also ideally, provide a resonable environment to service the boiler.

boarded floor, lighting, loft ladder and ideally gas, water and electrical isolation from the first floor.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

does this just require suitable stop valves - could these be in the airing cupboard - where the new pipes would be taken from.

Just thinking - the loft would also simplify the condensate and pressure relieve pipe routing.

there are lots of cross braces in the loft which I could use to mount a bulkhead onto.

Reply to
John

The Vitodens 200 is actually pretty light. And has a mounting frame you fit first - then hook the boiler onto it. There are pipework adaptors which are part of the frame so you do the plumbing first then slot the boiler in. If it's a stud wall with plasterboard over it you could insert a couple of noggins.

IIRC, the usual ones about safe access for servicing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My walls are not stud walls - just plasterboard!!!!

As I recall from watching the houses being built, a timber is failed to the floor and ceiling - then plasterboard is nailed top and bottom - then scraps are stuck to the inner side and another panel is then stuck onto the scraps and nailed at the top and bottom. The walls are only 2 inches thick. However - we have had no problems - but putting something like a boiler on it due to the problems if it did come loose is the stuff of sleepless nights.

Reply to
John

Gyproc laminated partition (except it should be gyproc plank (19mm) rather than 'scraps' in the middle. Very good in limited space, I have several in my extensions, but their egg box one (paramount) is only slightly thicker and is easier to erect.

I've several fully loaded kitchen wall cupboards attached to such, but there is timber installed (2x1x appropriate length) (in place of the 'scraps') in the appropriate places[*] to fix to. They've been up for getting on for 20 years without budging.

[*] Were so for the originally planned units. some ingenuity with angle grinder and angle iron (bed iron) was needed to adapt the fitting points for the final units.
Reply to
<me9

That would be ideal, you'd not want to make a feature out of them.

Relative the airing cupboard yes, relative to an external ground floor wall probably not.

Modern roof? Have you got a reasonable clearance for servicing?

Reply to
Ed Sirett