Smlim boiler recommendations please

I have a boiler to replace, groan.

It is a 30 year old Ideal that is 15" wide and floor standing, fitted between kitchen cabinets.

I have narrowed it down to a rather expensive (£650) Ideal Mexico slimline 445.

Any other suggestions please?

Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

Reply to
Kalico

There are very few floor mounted boilers available, most of which are either ancient designs about to be outlawed, or storage combi boilers, which aren't.

Exactly what width can you play with? Alternatively, is there a different location available, on a wall, perhaps, that allows you to recover valuable space down below?

Assuming not, and sticking with the same manufacturer, the Ideal Icos (which the smallest version of at 12kW is fractionally less powerful than the Mexico Slimline 445 for the same price) manages 390mm, which is fractionally above 15". It may not save you any money and you might need to box it in, but if it fits, it will be vastly more efficient than the Mexico dinosaur. You can also get much higher power versions with modulating burners and pumps built in for not much more.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Is the Mexico that rubbish?

The one I am removing is presumably the predecessor to the Mexico and has been in reliable service since 1973.

I have been replacing combi boilers in my rented property on an average of every 4 years - hardly good value then are they?

Thanks for any help. Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

Reply to
Kalico

There is something wrong there. Perhaps you have one of those plumbers that refuses to install inhibitor? Did you standardise on a model with known problems, like the Suprima?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Yes.

It came out in 1970, named after the 1970 World Cup.

Sounds like you are using naff combi's or more Likely they are not installed correctly. Even the cheapest combi should give 10 to 15 years if serviced and maintained correctly.

Reply to
IMM

Does the boiler have to go in the same place? How about the loft? The airing cupboard cam take a floor mounted Worcester Bosch HighFlow, or on the back wall an Alpha CB50 high flow combi, gthen no cylinders or tanks.

As you are replacing a boiler, you may as well explore other options that will improve your system as a whole.

Reply to
IMM

"Kalico" wrote | I have been replacing combi boilers in my rented property | on an average of every 4 years

I have lightbulbs that last longer than that!

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Reliability and efficiency are not the same thing.

I used to have a GW Galaxy BBU - never fails (not even a thermocouple!) in

14+ years!. Probably wasted £2000 of gas during those years.

Should have fitted a proper boiler, care to mention the name(s)?: Bet it wasn't something that cost over £500?

I look after the heating at a number of flats. So far out of 6 17-year old Vaillants and 10 12-year old Vaillants ONE has been replaced.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Tell me about it. I have come to dislike, but tolerate the damn things.

First, I had a Worcester 240 that needed the engineer to it twice. First time within 12 months so a free replacement of the diverter valve. Second time after 13 months so they tried to charge me for a new gas valve. I refused to pay for it and they have yet to take me to court.

The worst one was a Potterton Puma, installed well by a good gas engineer who is also a friend, so I have no reason to think he cut corners. After 3 years it had to be replaced due to a leaking heat exchanger dripping onto the main circuit board.

Of course, being in the electronics business, I know these boards are probably costing them about £6 a piece from the far east, but they wanted £200 or so for the board and similar stupid money for another heat exchanger. They refused to listen to protests that it shouldn't have failed like this after three years.

So, we replaced it in August with a Worcester 24i which has had Worcester out to it twice already. First, it was venting throught the pressure release valve pretty much permanently, causing the pressure in the system to drop so it shut down (oh! how I love those calls from tenants). They replaced the valve but about 2 weeks later it refused to work again. This time they said it was a faulty circuit board, causing the boiler to overheat.

Unfortunately, the engineer showed the tenants how to reset the thing when it overheats so now they may just do that and not let me know if it keeps playing up again.

I'd love your thoughts. I am minded to reject the boiler and demand a replacement as my gut instinct is that it is very much a Friday afternoon machine and it will only be a matter of time before something else goes on it. Usually, they wait until over 12 months old though, so maybe this one is being well behaved!

Of course, even if they accepted it was a dud they are unlikely to pay for the plumber to replace it. What joy!

What do you all think? I appreciate your expereince.

Thanks Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

Reply to
Kalico

Vaillant 242 here

16 years old, replaced the fan and secondary heat exchanger

(although there is now a strange fault which has defeated EVERYONE)

Reply to
raden