Need a quiet ceiling pull switch !

Hi

I know this may sound like an odd question but I'm trying to find a quiet, or the quietest ceiling pull switch. It's for a bathroom and switching a 100W lighting circuit. The current one we have has a really loud click and if someone goes to the loo late at night it can get really annoying!

Anyone know who has the 'quietest' switch out of crabtree, MK volex, superswitch

TIA

Reply to
nospam

Wire this up to the existing pull switch so that you can use the loo late at night and continue to use the existing light pull switch as per normal hours. ;-)

George

Like I said last time this was asked, this is actually a dimmer, which I know you didn't specify

Thanks.It has a really quiet click, and does what is says on the box.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Dunno, but there may be a suitably rated touch switch.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I was about to post a similar question. Looks like no-one knows of one. Presumably its the detent mechanism that makes the noise, rather than the switch contacts, because they arw so much louder than wall switches? Plus they are on a board rather than attached to brick. Praps the answer is to go to B&Q and try out what they have?

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

I asked this years ago and nobody knew of one then. Seems nothing's changed and a quiet bathroom switch still hasn't been invented. How hard can it be to design a quiet switch??

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Just tell 'em to go to the loo in the dark.

Reply to
Skipweasel

We have something similar in the downstairs loo, which has no windows and is very very dark when the door's shut. Several visiting kids shut themselves in without first turning on the light, which they then couldn't find in the dark. Nor could they find the doorhandle - so we fitted the PIR. It's great!

Reply to
Skipweasel

It says quiet switch action?alas its dimmer controlled

George

They used to be. I spent a while taking one apart to repair it when the string pulled right out. It was a 4 year old MK one.

I fitted one ~5 years ago on the wall rather than the ceiling. The wall is a 9" brick supporting wall, and doesn't act as a sounding board, unlike a ceiling.

For an upstairs one, I did consider fixing the switch to a rafter in the loft and running the string through a small eyelet in the ceiling. Never actually tried doing it though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

So do you have to keep waving your arms around while sitting on the loo to keep the light on? No good if it switches off half way through the crossword LOL

Reply to
DIYdisaster

I fear this may prove too technical for my 5 year old. And why do kids always pull the switch cord at an angle and then let go while it's still under spring tension so it goes twanging around the wall making yet more noise???

Reply to
DIYdisaster

You must crap for a long time? the PIR switches between 30secs to7 minutes

Reply to
George

Or provide them with a bottle .

Reply to
Stuart B

Fit a nightlight. A 1.3W G5.3 fitting mains LED lamp, left on throughout the hours of darkness all year will use around 7 units of electricity and provide more light than you really need.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Or too interesting and he stands there pulling the cord watching the light dim and brighten whilst the situation is getting more urgent...

Because they're five?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Why wouldn't they...?

David

Reply to
Lobster

That's supposed to say it was a 40 year old MK one. ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The timer's set to about four minutes. I suppose if you're enthroned for longer you'd need to move a bit, but since it's a microscopic loo[1] and the sensor is just over your shoulder it seems to retrigger freely and has never caused a problem.

[1] About 82cm x 104cm. Known in the family as the sidraT as it's a lot smaller inside than you expect.
Reply to
Skipweasel

Oh, that's easy to cure. Tie the bottom end of the string to something - we use the top of the towel radiator. Not only does it stop the string getting caught in the door, and stops it rattling, but it's also easier to use - you only need snag the string and pull it towards you. Must easier for smalls.

Reply to
Skipweasel