Nearly a plumbing disaster

Recently we had a water leak from an old and inaccessible compression fitting underneath the bath. As a quick fix I cut-out the section of pipe and fitted a 22mm push-fit stop-end until I could replace the pipe. Today I was starting to make-up the new pipe and fittings when I noticed that there were a few minor drips beneath the stop-end and that a yorkshire coupling slid over the pipe end (having removed the stop-end) was rather loose. Then light dawned - it was 3/4 imperial pipe! I was very lucky that the stop-end stayed put under mains pressure. Now to get an imperial-metric coupler. Lesson learned: measure the O/D of old pipework and don't assume that it's metric - if it's about 20.5mm it's 3/4 imperial.

Reply to
nothanks

You can get 3/4 olives which are designed to be used in a 22mm compression coupling.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I know, but the relevant word in my summary was "inaccessible"

Reply to
nothanks