How do I replace bath taps with a mixer tap?

After my last post re. about moving or sticking with my current flat & getting stuck into some diy, I've decided to take the 'plunge' (or hopefully not as I want to replace a bath tap).

The cartridge inside the cold bath tap is broken so the tap doesn't work properly. I've decided to replace both taps with 1 mixer tap. I watched a plumber do the same thing in my kitchen without turning off the mains and it looked really easy.

One major problem I see is getting access to the taps from under the bath. It's going to be awkward.

How would you recommend I go about the whole job? Any special tools? I don't know if there's a flexible pipe attached or a normal copper pipe.

Thank you (again!)

Reply to
Stephen

You'll need to stop the flow of water to the taps in whatever way is best. You'll need to physically be able to get to the taps from underneath and yes a tool of somekind would be useful but it doesn't have to be special. You may or may not get lucky when it comes to attaching the new tap to the existing pipework.

Reply to
adder1969

I imagine there are isolation valves of some sort under the sink (often operated by a flat-bladed screwdriver. If there aren't any under the bath, you'll need to turn the water off at the mains (probably) - always a good idea to fit some isolation valves at the same time as fitting the new taps.

You need a basin wrench (see ).

If you have 'normal' copper pipe at the moment, then if you're lucky, the connectors on the pipes will mate up perfectly with the bottoms of the new taps. If you're unlucky, they won't; in that case flexible pipe is definitely the way to go. You can even get them with pushfit fittings, so they would 'push' directly on to the stubs of copper pipe below the bath. (eg )

Suggest your first step is to have a look and see what's going on below the old taps right now; then report back and someone can advise you better.

Note that bathtaps are 0.75" size, you need the matching size of connector. The copper pipework feeding these taps is typically 22mm, but you'll often find 15mm in either the hot or cold feed, or both.

David

Reply to
Lobster

)

I think you mean that bath taps have 3/4" BSP threads - whose *actual* diameter is just over an inch.

Also be aware that, if the copper pipes are old, they will be imperial 3/4" rather than metric 22mm. They're only a tad smaller than 22mm - but you

*can't* use 22mm pushfit fittings on 3/4" pipe - you'll need either 22mm compresion fittings with special olives, or solder fittings specifically designed to fit imperial pipe.
Reply to
Set Square

Well, I had a go this morning and after a couple of runs to B&Q and a few scraped knuckles on one hand I have lovely, clean hot & cold running water from a nice new mixer tap!

The copper pipes already had valves and flexible pipes fitted so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. The hard bit was getting access to taps in such a tight space. And it's all one sided.

So far there are no leaks so I'll keep an eye on things over the next few days just in case.

Next up, it's adding an extra radiator in my living room. Might need to call in the professionals for that one!

Thanks again for all the help!

Reply to
Stephen