natural gas detector?

Can anyone recommend a natural gas detector for a rented-out property? Are there any BS standards it must comply with?

Reply to
bob

bob explained :

I think you probably want a CO (carbon monoxide) detector. Is it to detect the leakage of the products of combustion, rather than the natural gas?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

They exist for bottled gas - commonly used on boats to detect these heavy gasses which tend to sink into the hull.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Can you recommend a supplier?

Reply to
S Viemeister

Kidde may do one.

- If it is NG it must be located high up (NG rises).

- Whereas for LPG it must be located low down (LPG sinks).

The problem is the NG alarms often give false alarms. Kidde list one on the Amazon USA website and the reviews confirm false alarms.

Why do you need a NG detector? There are "chopped pipe" auto cut-off valves available if you suffer vandalism of piping.

Reply to
js.b1

In message , bob writes

Canary?

Reply to
geoff

I can recommend the Honeywell Model Z10A. I have had 4 fitted (2 houses) for a number of years and have never had a false alarm. On the other hand, one responded to a very small gas leak from a gas meter union, which I then confirmed with BES gas leak detection fluid. I couldn't smell any gas.

I will be very wary about concluding that the alarm was giving a false warning after that experience.

CRB.

Reply to
crb

Candle?

Reply to
PeterC

Tricky. It's technically harder to detect natural gas than LPG (by the heated wire in a Davy screen detector) and so these aren't commonly available at sensible prices.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I've seen National Grid/Transco people use them, so they are available. Didn't spot what make/model it was, but it had an LCD display that indicated some number, the higher the number the more gas it could detect.

It had a hose with a long steel nozzle that sucked, kind of like a miniaturised vacuum cleaner hose and nozzle.

Reply to
chunkyoldcortina