Mystery

Why is it beyond the wit of sanitary engineers world-wide to design a loo seat that doesn't slip and slide around ?
Jim Hawkins

Tighten your nuts?

I have found that using the ones with a bar between the two hinges makes a big difference.

--
Bill

On 10/19/2011 3:08 PM, Bill wrote:

+1

The problem IME is that the long brass screws at the back of the seat that go through the holes in the porcelain are much narrower than the holes. So you have to do the gubbins underneath up very tight to prevent the screws "shearing" sideways and the seat moving. I tried to find plastic tubing once to pad out the screw width so they couldn't move, but to no avail.
--
Tim

In article

That would do it. Must bear that in mind if we're ever looking for new seats - ta.
--
Tim

A bit OTT perhaps but I can see how it would make life much more civilised, and not too far to pipe the Stella.
Derek G
On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 19:04:49 +0100, Jim Hawkins wrote:

I always assumed they were supposed to have a bit of play in them, so the hinges don't get so stressed as people reach over for the bog paper etc.

A further mystery is why lady toilet users always stand an unfixed toilet roll on the cistern top.
regards
--
Tim Lamb

On 19/10/2011 20:53, Tim Lamb wrote:

That is so it is in clear and obvious view of male users, in the hope we'll do something about it.
Andy
Tim Lamb wrote:

If they are anything like my other half, her reason is that the cupboard space that I made in the bathroom for her to store such things is *FULL* - and that's the only place she could put the last bog roll left out of the pack of twelve that she's just bought. That cupboard (built to hide the soil pipe stretching across the bathroom wall) is big enough to hold a damn site more than twelve rolls - but she insists on 'hiding' everything else in there as well sigh!
But after 45 years, I suppose I've just got used to her ways... LOL
Cash
Cash wrote:

Female acquisition will expand to fill every available store and every horizontal surface.
That's why they are called 'birds'

On Oct 19, 9:54pm, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Male acquisition will do that as well, but 'they' don't usually let us.
I'm single, so I can cover the place with junk without complaint, and not even have to dust it.
Owain
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

If I called my wife a 'bird' (especially and old bird) I'd end up losing a rather delicate part of my anatomy that's for sure!!
Cash
On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 21:54:00 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

*Very* true. I wouldn't mind so much if it was useful stuff rather than just piles of books that don't have shelf space 'cause the 50' plus of bookshelves are already full or unfinished knitting projects or simply stuff that hasn't been put away.
I get moaned at if I leave a screwdriver out for more than 5 minuets whilst I have a cuppa... She has sort of accepted that my stock of "useful bits of wood" do serve a purpose when I need a bit of wood for something she wants made/doing.
--
Cheers
Dave.

On 20/10/2011 09:25, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Vases do furnish a room, fill horizontal surfaces efficiently, and appear from nowhere when a space becomes vacant.

AND they're useful - they'll take old teabags, gash screws ....

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 09:42:51 +0100, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:

Do I want to know what a gash screw is?

<straight face>"Gash" is Naval slang for rubbish</straight face>
Always an interesting word to use among people who don't know its origin.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 1st day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3177
RIP, Dennis Ritchie. One of the giants on whose shoulders Steve
Huge wrote:

Is it? I have always used it as being 'semi scrap, second hand, used, and probably not on good condition' without knowing where the term derived..
'just slightly too good to throw away..' is as close as I can define it.