Mystery

Well, they have, but only appear to fit them to "accessible" toilets.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

That's because they are the only ones they can reach :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nicely put:-)

I should have explained that there is no convenient place for a wall mounted toilet roll holder. The cistern is mounted on a narrow stretch of wall close to a rarely used bath. For convenience, I stand the roll on the edge of the bath along with whatever book I happen to be reading.

Women should be translated as Daughters: my wife has her own bathroom.

I guess toilet paper is used for other than the usual purpose. A test might be to find some of the hard, non absorbent type of my childhood. Izal?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

*Very* true. I wouldn't mind so much if it was useful stuff rather than just piles of books that don't have shelf space 'cause the 50' plus of bookshelves are already full or unfinished knitting projects or simply stuff that hasn't been put away.

I get moaned at if I leave a screwdriver out for more than 5 minuets whilst I have a cuppa... She has sort of accepted that my stock of "useful bits of wood" do serve a purpose when I need a bit of wood for something she wants made/doing.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Vases do furnish a room, fill horizontal surfaces efficiently, and appear from nowhere when a space becomes vacant.

Reply to
stuart noble

AND they're useful - they'll take old teabags, gash screws ....

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Well, remember what Kingsley Amis had to say (actually one of his characters, but since almost all his books were essentially autobiographical, we can take it that the great man thought this too):

All children are permanently drunk (you can tell this as they rush around at 900mph all the time). Women by contrast are only permanently half-drunk.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The problem IME is that the long brass screws at the back of the seat that go through the holes in the porcelain are much narrower than the holes. So you have to do the gubbins underneath up very tight to prevent the screws "shearing" sideways and the seat moving. I tried to find plastic tubing once to pad out the screw width so they couldn't move, but to no avail.

Reply to
Tim Streater

i.e. "One size fits none"

Reply to
Mark

A bit OTT perhaps but I can see how it would make life much more civilised, and not too far to pipe the Stella.

Derek G

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Is your wife my long-lost twin sister?

Reply to
S Viemeister

The are all sisters.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Do I want to know what a gash screw is?

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Me too. But why is having the end of the roll at the back better form? It's still bog paper either way - it's just less convenient to reach the end if it's round the back.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

"Gash" is Naval slang for rubbish

Always an interesting word to use among people who don't know its origin.

Reply to
Huge

Is it? I have always used it as being 'semi scrap, second hand, used, and probably not on good condition' without knowing where the term derived..

'just slightly too good to throw away..' is as close as I can define it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Because if it's at the front, pulling it makes the roll come forwards slightly, thus making it easier to unroll. If it's at the back the reverse happens, and the roll tends then to jam against the wall or back of the fixture.

Reply to
Tim Streater

That would do it. Must bear that in mind if we're ever looking for new seats - ta.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Probably RAF slang as well then because "gash" is a term I use when referring to something to be had for nowt, or something left over from a job, as in. "I finished that job and have half a dozen gash bolts"

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Your're lucky, even when I have pointed out that I had done somethig 'free' because I had the wood in stock, I am usuall not congratulated on having it in stock so that I could do the job quickly.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm