or, if it wraps
I have recently relocated and needed a workshop to continue my business as a computer technician. I decided to have the building built large enough to have a dual purpose. One end for DIY and storage of tools ETC and one end for my IT business. I decided on a size of 14ft x 8ft.
Because if moving costs I needed to build the new workshop on as smaller budget as possible. I decided to have the basic workshop shell built and erected to my specification and because I had spent 30 years in the building trade as an electrician before swapping careers I would undertake everything else.
As I had a good solid tarmac area for the workshop to stand on and wanted something with a more solid feel I had the building constructed with a clad 3x2 framework over pressure treated 4x2 floor joists and a felted pitched roof with a front overhang.
To help with costs I acquired a UPVC door from a relative and two UPVC windows from my local Freecycle group and supplied these to the builders of the workshop for installation before the building was erected on site.
After erection it was my turn to begin the interior improvements.
I needed the finished shell to have the following installed:
Insulation and heating so I could use the building all year round. Electrical. Broadband connectivity. TV point. Telephone extension.
The insulation was achieved using 2” polystyrene sheets on top of the first finished floor with a floating chipboard floor over that. This was then covered with Altro vinyl safety flooring (purchased from eBay). The walls and roof space were insulated with Rockwool the walls then finished with decent quality plywood and the ceiling finished with taped and painted plasterboard.
I was lucky that the previous owners had erected a small potting shed adjacent to the location of the new workshop and had installed an electrical feed to this shed. This supply was in 6mm 3 core armoured cable and being plenty long enough I diverted it to be the new workshop electrical supply and re-fed the potting shed from there. The consumer unit and circuit breakers were again purchased through eBay a mixture of new circuit breakers and a used 4 way metal clad consumer unit. The remainder of the electrical installation was completed using new materials.
I built and installed a full width workbench at the business end and used an Ikea wooden kitchen island as the DIY end work bench.
For security I installed a new Yale wireless alarm system again purchased from eBay.
Second fix joinery and electrical was installed and the ceiling and business end painted white.
I now have a comfortable, warm and practical building for my business and home DIY.
Some may have seen from the photographs the angle between the potting shed and the workshop. The potting shed's foundations have sunk making it out of square, a job that needs to be sorted out at a later date.
'Erm is not an answer'
'Erm is not an answer'