My DIY blog, please comment

After all the great help I received here, I've started a blog so that I can rant about some of the DIY jobs I do.

If anyone is interested, i've jsut published a quick post about my home made router table.

Please feel free to comment, good or bad.

the blog is at

jg

JG,

Interesting. Just out of interest, do you count your fingers once in a while to make sure that they are all there and still firmly attached? LOL

As a matter of interest, if you pop over to -- rec.woodworking -- there are many knowledgeable folks there (mainly Americans) who, if asked nicely, will post plans for a router table into -- alt.binaries,pictures.woodworking -- and also give lots of advice on how to use it safely.

Best of luck

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

I did look around the web a little, but most of the router table projects require you to already be an expert woodworker with a fully equipped workshop. That's why I thought I would start simple.

Did you see something dangerous? or is it just the cheap router that worries you?

Maybe I should buy a better one with a propper table.

Thanks

Reply to
jg

Yeah! like the trend model.

ben

[snip]

You need a part guard over that hole, MAN!! and where's your safety switch in an emergency? oops! where's me hand.

Reply to
ben

Now that's what I call latteral thinking. maybe next time :)

Reply to
jg

How would that work? Do you know where I can find pictures of such a guard?

As for the switch, I haven't actually got round to doing anything on the switch, so it still requires 1 hand on the switch to use it. What kind of safety switch were you thinking of? one of the NVR switches would be as dangerouse as a standard on/off switch as far as trapping your hand (or anything else) in the blade is concearned. Maybe you were thinking of some kind of quick kill switch to hit in an emergency, but i've never seen one since I was at school and accidently knocked this red button on the wall and wondered why the whole workshop had gone so quiet :)

I actually thought of a foot switch, to keep both hands free, but that also sounds very dangerous.

I'll think on it some more before I actually use the table again.

Thanks

Reply to
jg

Common sense really, your table will take up space,a workmate can be folded down and put out the way.

Slight problem though the router would have to have a locking mechanism..(quick release), so as to negate the hassle of setting the table up.

Wing nuts maybe?

Reply to
ben

A retractable box section..( preferably clear perspex) over the router cutter so as to raise or lower it for different size wood thickness to pass through.

Reply to
ben

As I don't intend to use it much, it wouldn't be such a big deal.

once this one falls apart, i'll look at either a revised design, or a commercial solution. (if I like using the router like this)

Stay tuned for more illconceived DIY blogs

Reply to
jg

Why? They would hide all his junk from view...

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

They'd keep it off the floor, causing an obstruction which could be dangerous.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher