Music Fidelity to make copies of BBC LS3/5A speakers

Yes i remember once taking my ESL63's back to QUAD at St Peters road and Peter Walker demo'ed a square wave on a B&K measurement microphone and very impressive that was too!..

Reply to
tony sayer

Bloody right they do panels and panels that come ungluded etc!

They were the LS8/A and the LS59/A IIRC

Google the LS8 very good article on that by and EX BBC bloke:)..

Here we go!..

Also Graham audio have a new one pout passive X over retails around 7000 quid or thereabouts!

tony sayer

A Blinking good unit but way overpriced thats more then what they originally cost!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Ever heard a stacked pair?, of 57's that is?..

Reply to
tony sayer

They weren't designed to emphasise anything, they were intended to be as accurate as possible in the situations they were to be used in such as mobile outside broadcast vans, TV and Radio.

In studios the LS8/A was more the thing but their bloody big, you wouldn't have room to fart with them in an OB van!

They are and have been a very good unit when used within their limitations like most all speakers.

We did some tests once with a single male (Human) speaker the one that Peter W of QUAD used to and I think B&W s did the same, have a person speaking then stop and let the speakers carry on, their excellent at male voice:)

FWIW never had a female around at the time women never seem to be interested in that sort of thing;(..

Reply to
tony sayer

Interesting you should say that as the early versions of the 303 did have biasing problems that were corrected and improved in later versions

Well expect they did after all the 303 started in what *1967?.

I expect they may well do that!

  • There is a 303 Dinosaurus that sits under this bench that powers the computer speakers, it was manufactured in 1967 new caps some other small changes and I expect it'd last another 50 years if needed;)..
Reply to
tony sayer

Can you say where they are inaccurate bearing in mind their design limitations and the purpose for which they were designed?..

** BTW Where old Phill A FUCKING GONE?,, THE POMMY BARSTARDS HAVEN'T HEAD FRON HIM THE OLD GIT A WHILE!
Reply to
tony sayer

Keith Snook has done a lot of work on the 405 as per his site here..

tony sayer

He hardly ever posts anymore. He did just last week in aus.aviation

Reply to
Rod Speed

**Yes, I can.

**He is around. He has contributed to this thread.
Reply to
Trevor Wilson

Not many people have. High end moving paper beats 57s for bass, but they're still exceptionally good speakers

Reply to
Animal

Well go on then!..

Yes so i noticed!..

Reply to
tony sayer

**I believe that I answered your question, precisely, succinctly and economically.

The LS3/5A is being sold to people for domestic purposes. In that situation, they sound like crap. Expensive crap.

Reply to
Trevor Wilson

Yes, very economic precisely not answered!

Perhaps their not "tuneful" enough for you;?..

If you say so, who would argue with such logic;!

Can't say I know of anyone selling them in the UK apart from Stirling broadcast?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Well Tony if you've got any empty cabs, Ive got the KEF drive units

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have complete set KEFs, but operating in a living room they are wasted. They sound ok in an anechoic chamber.

Reply to
inri

Have you actually listened to them in an anechoic chamber?

John

Reply to
John Walliker

**Nope. Just horribly inaccurate. They sound OK, for a cheap speaker. Unfortunately, they're not cheap.
**No need to argue. Just listen to them. Compare them with a known, accurate speaker. The problems are instantly audible.
**OK.
Reply to
Trevor Wilson

'Accuracy' isn't necessarily a problem, and trying to achieve it - at least in most domestic settings - is a fool's errand.

I'd suggest the main issue is how good they sound to you, in your listening environment.

Of course such a measure can easily become coloured by perception, marketing, reviews etc. But hey, if you enjoy the sound . . .

Reply to
RJH

That reminds me of when I was developing am audio amplifier for a German loudspeaker company, They sent their golden eared boy over to blind test two possibles. He unerringly picked the one with more crossover distortion 'because it sounded like his Revox'. I tested that as well. That too had high levels of low volume crossover distortion.

Just like the Quad 303.

People get used to a certain sound and think because they paid for it, and its heavily advertised, it must be better.

KEF units to me are very neutral. I like that. I don't get tired of them. Mine cost me less that £100 when I bought the units and fitted them to chip cabinets.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher