moving a kitchen and bathroom

do UK building regulations demand that thetre should be a ventilated corridor between a kitchen and a bathroom?

Reply to
Clemcorp

You want a *bathroom* off the kitchen?? Well!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

No; in fact they no longer (if they ever did) require a ventilated lobby between a WC room and a kitchen (subject to certain provisions re ventilation and handwashing basin).

There are however regulations about "internal rooms" ie rooms accessed only through another room. Any work involving moving rooms or changing the interconnections between rooms is likely to be notifiable and require a Building Regs application.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In tens of thousands of terraced houses, where the bathroom was added as an amenity in later years, there is not much choice but to have a bathroom off the kitchen

Reply to
Homer2911

He's talking in the present tense - as if he wants to do this.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

My surveyor told me the ventilated lobby between kitchen and bathroom was never required, but was a very common misreading of the building regs even by some architects and BCO's until the wording was changed to clarify it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It was required under the Public Health Act c1962 and compliance with this was a requirement if you were getting an improvement grant - back in my early BCO days (late 1970s) we were still seeing lots of grant aided bathroom extensions/conversions to older terrace houses.

Reply to
Tony Bryer