Moving 100 year old Oak

In message , at

15:41:27 on Thu, 8 Nov 2012, mark remarked:

In the USA some States are only 100 years old, so they value their 'Heritage' more than we do.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Because it's in the USA, and just about

*everything* old there is revered. They think a new town is one that wasn't there last week, and pointing out to them that to us, Windsor is a new town is met with amazement.

It was built around the castle, and replaced what is now called Old Windsor in the 11th Century...

Reply to
John Williamson

Yep, the original lease for the land here is older than the USA by about

50 years... I doubt any of the existing building dates from then though but wouldn't be surprised if some of the original stones haven't been rearranged to make part of it though.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Hermitage , just off the A9 near Dunkelkd was populated with mature trees, instant landscape, imported from all over the place including Canada in the 1770`s, roots wrapped in sacking and kept soaking in fresh water

of 250 years ago from where I`m sitting, Comely Garden not Comely Bank, wrote a book on trees including moving them, William Boutcher:

1775 A treatise on forest-trees...also , plain directions for removing most of the valuable kinds of forest-trees

area is now flats and a nursing home.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Reply to
The Other Mike

Wasn't the case that the original Botanic Gardens in Edinburgh were somewhere down Holyrood direction and when the current site was established at Inverleith , a very significant number of mature specimen trees were moved?

From the RBGE website "The collection of plants expanded with the British Empire. From a site at the head of the Nor' Loch, now the site of Waverley Station, the Garden relocated out of the city centre in 1763 to a =91green field' site on the ancient high road to Leith.

The final move to Inverleith in 1820 took three years and a lot of ingenuity to deliver the entire collection of plants and mature trees using transplanting machines invented by the Curator, William McNab."

Reply to
robgraham

St Annes Yards,which was within Abbey sanctuary and lodings for debtors, well to the left of them beside the Abbey where the tennis courts were , the Botanics then moved to Leith Walk and then Inverleith.

Comely Garden was from what is now Spring Gardens over to Croft An Righ, beside Botanics site, run as pleasure gardens but never reached fahionability of Vauxhaul Gardens in London according to Edward Topham, Alan Whicker of the 1770`s:

` approached the orchestra ,which was the ruins of an old pigeon house, with no other alterations but that of removing the pigeons`

be fair Andrew Gibb employed most of Jock`s Lodge as gardeners and advertised such delights as ` gates lit with 1000 Chinese Lanterns`

Botanic Cottage was still standing on Leith Walk until 2008, currently dismantled awaiting rebuild on new site

Mr McNabs tree transporter drawing

he learnt something from William over this end of town ;-)

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Clearly in the wake of recent legal developments I must make it clear that I am deeply sorry that I should have made an allegation that any member of the House of Lords has or ever had an interest in olive trees.

Reply to
Steve Firth