Mouldy plastic plumbing

Please, no plastic versus copper arguments, that's not the point of this post.

I've just had to clean the bath trap and noticed that a single Speedfit fitting is mouldy. Not just surface mould but it looks like it's well into the plastic, which has also discoloured to a sort of off white matt colour. I will obviously replace the fitting, but is this likely to just be a problem with this one fitting or something else? The rest of the fittings under the bath are fine at the moment.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

. Seems strange; unless it was a bad batch of plastic?. We have been using ABS plastic drain fittings since 1960 without such problems. If it had been, say, a kitchen sink one might ask if some particularly corrosive cleaner had been used but for bath unlikely? Maybe the discolouration is not a problem if the structural integrity of the fitting is not affected?

Reply to
terry

Replace with a a good quality brass compression fitting. Avoid pushfit fittings altogether.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Get in touch with JG (John Guest). They would like to know.

Reply to
Merryterry

That's a good point, I was thinking it was probably just a bad batch of plastic since the others are ok.

Lee

Reply to
Lee