Motion sensative outside light

And it lets you fire two or more lights from one sensor, which is often useful.

Reply to
newshound

nope

whoosh

because they can. If its only on for brief periods, it's cheaper to use less LEDs & cook em. Cheap is everything.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

because it suits tabby's argument.

he ignores the often reported failures of LED bulbs due to over heating of the PSU in the base.

Of course you could buy philips hue bulbs which will have a switch mode supply in them but they are £20+. The cheap ones come with a crappy capacitor dropper which wont last a year in an unventilated lamp or even one that has the bulb hanging down. .

Reply to
dennis

I see you're dodging reality again. A year is 8,760 hours. A 15k or 25k rating means the lamps last an average of 15 or 25k hours run time. That there are infant failures on all LED lamps makes not one whit of difference. Other than the relamping cost of £3 versus £70.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

As an early respondent to this thread and having recommended sealed units I can understand the reason why someone would favour replaceable bulbs. However, it all depends on each person's preferences and how they have arrived at that choice. My own unscientific preferences for outside lights is to go for sealed units particularly LED fittings. This preference is based on previous experience, we had a number of bulkhead lights at the last house but once they started to need bulbs replacing nearly all started to let moisture in. Again unscientifically I reasoned that this was occurring because once the seals were disturbed after long compression they never seemed to compress quite the same and in the case of my bulkheads further compressing the shade to body seal was causing the seals under the screwheads to disintegrate thus allowing moisture in. I have had the same occur at our present house to halogen floods, so far the replacement sealed LED ones have not leaked but only time will tell. Maybe it is down to gut instinct I feel something factory sealed will remain sealed longer than something you are trying to seal whilst dangling off a ladder.

Other reasons for choosing a particular type of fitting is aesthetics. Removable bulb units tend to be bulkier whereas the units I fitted recently are quite discrete for the amount of light they give off.

At the end of the day you choose what suits you with the features that are important to you. I think the replaceability of bulbs might be a consideration and it is valid to recommend that just as I recommended sealed units and why. It is up the OP to weigh up the recommendations put to them and I for one would not get upset if my recommendations are ignored.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Yep.

50K hours life Do you know how to work out how many hours in a year ? ASk google if not. It's 8760. So runnig 24/7/365 that is 50,000/8760=5.7 years so about 5, so running it just 12 hours per day then you could expect to last about 10 years.

Well if you can only aford ebay items shipped from china you may well be getting 2nd rate out of spec LED's

Perhaps they are better suited to you though.

Why shorten their life by pushing them ?

Only from cheap supliers.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Did you buy your jewery from ratners too ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

Once again you're an eejit. I should not be surprised.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Because the lamp lasts the life of the fitting... in theory at least.

I used three of these in one of my bathrooms:

They give lots of decent quality light, are easy to fit, and have a slim back projection which was important for the situation.

Reply to
John Rumm

that may be the sales pitch, but not much to do with reality unless the fittings are of truly terrible quality.

like a large percentage of fittings for the last century or so

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

well if you think about it, its pretty self defining. Once the lamp is dean, the life of the fitting is over!

Got some examples of any >= IPx4 fittings that will take a LED lamp, give 90 degree beam angle, and shallow depth of fit?

Reply to
John Rumm

Just as well they come with 3 - 5 year warranties then...

Reply to
John Rumm

All good points of course. But I have never seen a warranty that covers the labour cost of replacing the fitting. That does not matter to you or others who can DIY. But to many consumers it's a substantial cost.

Reply to
Robin

whatever use is that? I expect light fittings to last decades, and mine do.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It only doesn't matter if we're sitting around twiddling our thumbs. Most of us don't tend to live that way.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

If they get the fitter to also supply the fitting, then they can check they will honour the warranty and bear the cost when commissioning the work.

Also work keeping in mind that in lots of commercial situations the costs of re-lamping and replacing are similar due to the H&S brigade insisting that scaffolding be used to reach high fittings etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

If you want to install short lived fittings that have to be replaced when the bulb fails that's your call. I don't.

not relevant to diyers or the general public at home.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In some cases I do... if they meet the spec I needed. The last time I did I would be surprised if you could find an alternative re-lampable option that would.

Even if I only get a 5th of the 40K hours average life advertised, that will likely be decades in the application for which I chose them, so at £13 a pop that is fine by me. Cheapest rarely means best.

Best you stick to carbon arc filament...

Have you been attending the harry school of comprehension? I thought the "lots of commercial situations" caveat would pretty much eliminate domestic and DIY from consideration in relation to the point, and yet still?

Reply to
John Rumm

those are 2 different technologies, neither of which I have any reason to use on any great scale. Filaments are still in use in niche apps here.

Of course the comparison is invalid but hey

yet still it's irrelevant to what we're discussing, which is choice of luminaires at home.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Only an eejit thinks all LEDs are the same. Even then you have the PSU that will have a shorter life than the LEDs have.

Reply to
whisky-dave