Motion sensative outside light

All good suggestions but the original postulate was climbing on a chair to replace a light bulb - as though that were an *advantage* of replaceable bulbs!

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Obviously it is. What fool thinks it better to pay someone else £70 to change the bulb for them? This discussion is too silly to continue with.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

With the cheapo LED floods, there's a separate PSU rattling about within the case, but there is a trend for the COB-type to have the driver electronics incorporated onto the same board, e.g.

The iSpot model I mentioned is like that, with mains L&N soldered direct to the board (and need a very chunky soldering iron to re-make the connection due to the aluminium backed PCB)

So there'd need to be a standard form factor and mains connector to allow them to become user-replaceable.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Chair? What chair? *I* referred to "kitchen steps". If you wanted disambiguation you only had to ask: 2 wide rubber-coated steps, hand rail at top, non-slip feet.

Reply to
Robin

Someone that has nowhere to put a step ladder?

Well its you continuing it.

Reply to
dennis

Just add a little dizziness and thin bones.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

And very many people in their 70s don't have those problems. You seem to favour them losing their agency to decide if they can safely change a light bulb.

Oh, and where did that chair come from?

Reply to
Robin

No, I just want to phase out light bulbs.

What I always use!

Reply to
Roger Hayter

There are. They're called ES & BC.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It's got a 15+ year lifetime

It looks nice, it's piss easy to fit and the kitchen should be due for redecoration at about the time it fails

Oh and it was cheap. 15 quid IIRC

For the location it is in, it isn't that much harder to simply replace with a new one of the same type than replace a bulb, much better than the stupid florescent tube that was previously there (or a load of poxy spawn-of-the-devil down-lighters).

tim

Reply to
tim...

buy a foldable stool-step

more than sufficient for this task (not for all, I'll admit)

Reply to
tim...

If it fails within 2 years I shall, indeed, be pissed off.

But I wont be paying a man 50 quid to replace it. I shall, DIY (that is the name of the group we are in)

OTOH I expect it to outlast me and be the next owner's problem

tim

Reply to
tim...

what we really need is for them to be plug-inable like remote bell chimes are

tim

Reply to
tim...

I tend to favour "dumb" lamps fed via standalone PIR(s). Much simpler to replace a PIR on its own if it fails, and you can then have the sensing bit in the most appropriate place (or places), which might not be mounted near the lamp.

Reply to
John Rumm

The microwave ones installed inside the lamps are much more sensitive and to a certain extent can "See" round corners

tim

Reply to
tim...

That can be a downside too - I've just installed one and it seems to more easily get triggered by nearby trees/bushes moving and whilst the sensitivity can be reduced it does at the cost of missing 'real' events too. Being a low-power LED light (10W in this case) does lessen this being too much of an issue though.

Will be interesting to see what the longevity is like as it's always been the PIR sensors that have failed in my lights in the past.

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Rebulbable lights last far longer, come in a huge range of looks, and are cheaper.

We can replace them, though I'd rather just replace a lightbulb. Most folk can't/won't.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Lights with fixed LEDs last longer, come in a huge range of looks, and are cheaper.

The reason they last longer is because they can be cooled better than some random fitting retrofitted with a LED bulb.

They come in a bigger range of looks because they dont have the huge E27 or B22 bases to worry about and they don't need to provide ventilation that the bulb needs.

They are cheaper than buying flat panels with bulbs behind them, or spirally dangaley bits or any of the other fashions people buy these days which you can't even get bulbs into.

Reply to
dennis

the life of one LED only. Duh.

No dennis. The reason they last less long is a) the manufacturer couldn't care less as long as it makes a few years b) since it's only on a small % of time they push the LEDs much harder. BC/ES LEDs OTOH are rated at 15-25k hours

they don't

which have nothing even to do with the topic. What a great debater you are.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

with is ~10 years if they are only on for 12 hours a day.

Some don't even live in the same property for that long.

So don;t buy from a cheap manufacturer. The same goes for any product.

why would they need to push them harder ? Ah because they are crap quality to start with ?

Reply to
whisky-dave