Passing (CAT6) cable over loft from below ?

Finally admitted defeat (passim) with wireless anything to my utility- cupboard stashed server and want to run a proper CAT6 cable to it.
It's in a space which already has a small hole in the plasterboard (where I fitted a isolator switch for a fan).
I have about 1.8m away another (small) hole in the ceiling which used to carry a telephone wire.
If I wanted to avoid clambering around in that side of the house (the roof angle is very low, so it's a crawl-all-the-way-on-joists job, can anyone think of a magic way to get the cable from hole A to B from below ?
(I also don't want to risk getting trapped in an enclosed space where there may be wasps nests .....)
On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 09:23:37 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

I'd attach a light cord to a coat hanger and push it in one end, bending as I went to keep it flat. Assistant at the other end to grab it in a loop (e.g. a cable tie).
On 11/08/2019 10:33, Bob Eager wrote:

+1. I ran some 1 inch flexible conduit down inside the cavity of the gable end of my house (with rockwool insulation) using a number of straightened wire coat hangers, all twisted together to make a long piece.
A proper electricians fibreglass rod would have done it, but not for a one-off diy job.
Conduit carries cat5 and coax, not power.
Yes this can be very frustrating though if it catches a joist and buckles before it gets near the second hole. I once did this with a large coil of quite stiff wire in the inaccessible hole. Went in the loft where there was more room and used a crooked stick to hook some of said rope so I could actually reach it. Once this is done of course and poked down the other hole you can join on the real cable. Of course if both holes are in a cramped space all bets are off unless you can find a trained animal! Brian
--
----- --
On 11/08/2019 10:33, Bob Eager wrote:

Ha!
Bill
Probably not a terribly helpful suggestion, so apologies, but I have heard of it being done with a pet hamster, some light twine and an enticing bowl of food at the other end.
On 11/08/2019 11:09, Bert Coules wrote:

When I was a kid, hammy the escapologist used to get under the sink unit.
The cat always told us when he was eating the cats food by staring intently at his bowl, allowing recapture.
Before acquiring a set FG rods I often used the capping off mini trunking t ied to the cable which was flexible enough to bend but stiff enough to give direction. Aiming from one small hole to another is going to be difficult, you may be better pushing draw wires through each hole directing them to a place in your loft you can comfortably position yourself. Join the two dra w wires together then feed your cables through.
Richard
On 11/08/19 11:55, Tricky Dicky wrote:

I've not tried this in a large loft space but it works in a cavity wall when 'dropping' something from above and in the space between a ceiling and flat roof.
Take one of those flexible metal tape measures, the kind that retracts into a roll. Pull out a good length (several metres). Fold in half push the bend through the hole at the bottom, all the way, holding the end and body. Give it a wriggle. The idea is, the loop will unfold and the thing you are dropping will fall into the loop. Pull out the loop, with the drop string. (In the case of a flat roof, push a wire along etc.)
The basic idea isn't mine, a work colleague suggested it to me 20+ years back and I've used it a number of times.
On 11/08/19 11:09, Bert Coules wrote:

We've recently acquired a pet hamster. Our (adult) daughters are home this weekend and it escaped.
Having seen the fun we had capturing it, I don't recommend that approach ;-)

Likely a ferret would work better but its hard to believe that any animal like that would be able to sniff the food that is outside the second hole on the other side.
On 11/08/2019 10:23, Jethro_uk wrote:

Apologies if you've already tried something like this but ... I solved a similar problem (in a large house) with a TP-Link AC1750. I plugged it into various mains sockets until I found the best place for full-house coverage and where it was still able to connect to the router.
snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com wrote :

Trouble with wireless is, that they sometimes just inexplicably drop of the network. I struggled with an IP cam for years, before I finally gave up and wired it.
On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 13:46:08 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:

+1,000,000
Wireless is OK for the transient type connections at McDonalds and the like. But it's just not reliable enough for 24/7 usage in a domestic setting.
On 11/08/2019 15:19, Jethro_uk wrote:

I disagree. In a previous role I designed WiFi networks for large corporates and have used WiFi in my home and office for many years. My present house was a challenge because of the length and wall thickness but, as I said, a survey and some experimentation have resulted in a rock-solid system.
On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 16:21:36 +0100, nothanks wrote:

So ignoring the bit where I said "domestic setting" ? :)

*shrug*
For the first <x> months *my* system was rock solid. Right up until it wasn't ....
I can't just blame wireless, to be fair - no matter what distro, and what subsystem I use for managing networks, I still find Linux has a one in two chance of coming up back on the network when power cycled.
Part of the issue might be using wireless adapter cards, instead of a wireless router than then looks likes a wired connection to the boxes. But that would need a wireless router in 4 places - 4 routers.
Hence my using powerline adapters. But over the years I have had 4 (out of 4) fail in various ways. The most recent being the most "interesting" as all the lights insisted it was fully functional, despite the connected box being definitely off the network. Swapping it for another plug made the dead box work and the previously working box dead.
It was at that point that I decided wireless is just not worth the hassle at my age and when I want my system units headless and really out of the way. As said, OK for fripperies - the odd smartphone/iPad connection (SWMBO hasn't had a single issue in years). But not when I need to have the 100% faith I can always remotely access a box.
On 11/08/2019 16:21, snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com wrote:

Well now with three wifi points I get about one drop out per week.
That crsshes my NFSS layers.
Prior to that it was good to stay up for a ten minute period
--
"And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch".

Gospel of St. Mathew 15:14
wrote :

Works fine here. I share my wifi with my back neighbour and she listens to an internet radio station all day every day and that works fine.
On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 09:48:28 +1000, jleikppkywk wrote:

Pretty low-end stuff then. It's when you try and throw HD video files around you realise you're at the limit more often.
wrote :

I used to listen to those from the PVR when bottling the beer and that worked fine too.