motion activated still camera?

seems the silly season is starting again - lots of "visitors" to our patch - have got homebrew cctv but it's a pain to sift through looking for miscreants - would love a motion detecting cctv setup however not keen on prices! as a stop gap anyone know of a reasonably priced motion sensing still camera? i'd stash this out of sight somewhere and at least i'd know wtf is visiting and when. i'd imagine it would be battery powered, weatherproofed (tho could improvise something), and record images onto a SD card or similar....

this seems to fit ebay item 390069545380 except price!

cheers JimK

Reply to
jim

I think I saw some in a recent CPC flyer - aimed at wildlife enthusiasts

Reply to
Mike Harrison

It's about 500 MHz, running Win98SE.

Yes they would probably be Chinese. I think it's a DSR 2000 Maximum capture rate on each camera is about 3 per second, but that's enough for me. Perhaps the ones that capture faster would be about 5 times the price.

Yes there is a matrix of 16x12 areas i.e. 192 areas which can be set to detect motion. The sensitivity and length of motion can be changed for the whole picture. I can get it to record up to 30 seconds before the motion and 30 seconds after the motion. In which case it records three AVI files when motion is detected. For continuous recording it records 15 minute AVI files.

Reply to
Matty F

Depends on the receiver and how the cameras are linked to it.

If you've got individual video out for each camera/channel on the receiver, easy peasy.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

yeah that would be great but i've got 1 scart lead!! :>)

JimK

Reply to
jim

that sounds very interesting - where did you get the bits and how much- ish did they set you back please? ta JimK

Reply to
jim

I fear that Sir will be put to extra expense and inconvenience.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In article , jim writes

I've been meaning to try out the Trust high resolution still range of webcams that CPC have for this kind of application.

Their WB-5400 model claims 1280x1024 video resolution and 2304x1728 (4Mpix) still resolution, it claims face tracking too but I wouldn't expect too much for the current 15quid price (+vat).

gets the current discounted price vs the 20 odd quid 'normal' price.

That short of resolution should wipe the floor with a video cam and capture card.

Reply to
fred

Don`t ask me how this works as I have enough problems with my PC as it is!

My son has just gone abroad for a week and currently rents his property, I had to take him to the airport and he was showing me a room in his house which had a still picture at that time, now I think it is through a webcam but the picture was on his mobile phone and he was telling me it records if there is any motion, now I dont know where it records it and can`t ask him til a weeks time. The phone he is using is one of these blackberry things, and I am sure he mentioned a free download programme.

Hope this is of some help.

Reply to
SS

lots of "visitors" to our

(+vat).

the current discounted price vs

mmm that's usb - what's the max cable length for usb these days?

JimK

Reply to
jim

(+vat).

801gets the current discounted price vs

A fairly shitty 5m I'm afraid, extendable to about 25m in 5m increments with active extender cables but they're a messy solution and a bit pricey if you need a few.

Thought I'd found the holy grail for a moment there, a usb to cat5 to usb extender for up to 60m but it was only the slow usb1.1 standard.

Reply to
fred

I'm in NZ so you probably can't buy the capture card from TradeMe, but here are the details:

've connected various video cameras of all kinds with no problems. If you want a superb daytime picture cheap, search Ebay or similar for a Sony handicam that has a faulty tape drive. They sell for almost nothing. Take the tape out, connect the power supply and use it as a monitor.

Reply to
Matty F

long shot:- i actually have 2 receivers (1 with each camera) so is it possible to use scart to bnc/phono plugs to convert the output to suit a PC DVR/CCTV card? if it would work any guesses on the quality? i.e. would it be worth it?

mattyf - thanks for notes didn't twig your were in NZ! -

Can anyone recommend a UK sold product (ebay or otherwise) :- decent

4channel (max) PC DVR/CCTV card that must have software that allows user to choose which parts of the picture/frame trigger motion- detected recording and which don't?

cheers JimK

Reply to
jim

If you are just getting a video signal out of the scart (rather than supplying power inward) you could just clip on to the correct pins of the scart plug:

make some brass tube and push it on to the pins. This is a d-i-y group! then plug that into a TV set to check it out.

Reply to
Matty F

DC power supply....

now i've thought about it I may have actually have a lead somewhere tho scart to phonos from memory.... JimK

Reply to
jim